+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Geoff.

I keep wondering whether to start stockpiling 306 amps as an investment while they can still be bought at somewhat sensible prices. I think the 306 is possibly the best sounding Quad power amp and I anticipate values rising a fair bit before too long. For the excellent build quality and sound, I think they are undervalued in real terms. What else is there that competes at the money? Nothing!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I had a severe downer on the 306, but suspect it was the 34 causing the issues with audio 'fog' ..
    You think?

First time I heard a 34 (up against a Croft Micro Basic) I thought it was broken.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    First time I heard a 34 (up against a Croft Micro Basic) I thought it was broken.
    Yes. Tried one in my system many years ago and got much the same impression. Still, some like 'em! (probably never heard a decent pre-amp though)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Old Quad preamps invert the phase, if that's any help.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I never bid early on anything. Why tell competing bidders to up their bids?

I decide the max I'm willing to pay and bid that amount eight seconds before the end. That way there's no time for a competing bidder to bid again. Of course, there may be a bigger bid than yours already going in or a bigger snipe bid, but that's a chance you take.
    I dunno, I just sit at home bored bidding on stuff. Anyway, it went upto £220, so I saw a bin for £225 and bought that one instead.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-306-...53.m2749.l2648
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I dunno, I just sit at home bored bidding on stuff. Anyway, it went upto £220, so I saw a bin for £225 and bought that one instead.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-306-...53.m2749.l2648
    Looks a nice one. You won't regret buying it, they're a cracking amp for that kind of money.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Input sensitivity on the Quads is too high, particularly the 306.
    Oh yea, forgot that I changed mine (it's very easy to do).

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    You use the little bear with a 306 right?
    Yes, As Geoff said, there's too much gain as standard but you only have to replace one resistor per channel to adjust that. I used Vishay MRS25 resistors.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Oh yea, forgot that I changed mine (it's very easy to do).
    Been thinking of doing mine. I've got the details somewhere (I think ).

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Yes, As Geoff said, there's too much gain as standard but you only have to replace one resistor per channel to adjust that. I used Vishay MRS25 resistors.
    Just checked. Looks like R13 needs to be 27R for 1.0V input sensitivity on the 306. Nice and easy to reach. What rating resistors did you use?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast