+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Mike.

Default Advice on Quad power amps.

I wish to change my amplification, I have the humble Nait 5 (with extra flatcap power supply!) as my main amp, Ruark Talisman speaker, Pioneer PD 8700 cdp, Graham slee era v gold phono stage. Notts analogue TT. I wish to get rid of the Nait and get something better. I recently borrowed a little known U.S. amp - the Monarchy sm70, tried that with my (now sold) Nakamichi ca-5, it was clearly a lot better than the Nait, but it was so unbearably hard sounding, I knew it wouldn't last - not in my system anyway.
    So for whatever reason I've got it into my head that a Quad power amp/pre power/ might be suitable. 606, 909, 405-2 ?? What can I expect? Just want something with real audiophile qualities - something I feel the Nait is missing - I guess it is only an entry level amp, but I'm not even sure going further up the Naim ladder would help. Was thinking 606/909 with some cheap passive pre. If you have any other recommendations please add them. I listen to a lot of Jazz cds at the minute, day and night, I find myself very drawn to Jazz, and think I will be for a good while now. My current set up isn;t too kind to those blaring saxs/trumpets. I think in the long run I might need to change the Ruarks, I think the tweeters underperform. But for now I just want rid of the Nait. Remote control would be nice, but seeing as I'm listening to a lot of cds now, not essential. I will also buy a new dac to help the Pioneer along, something like a Beresford or Raspberry as I hear good things about them.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I wish to change my amplification, I have the humble Nait 5 (with extra flatcap power supply!) as my main amp, Ruark Talisman speaker, Pioneer PD 8700 cdp, Graham slee era v gold phono stage. Notts analogue TT. I wish to get rid of the Nait and get something better. I recently borrowed a little known U.S. amp - the Monarchy sm70, tried that with my (now sold) Nakamichi ca-5, it was clearly a lot better than the Nait, but it was so unbearably hard sounding, I knew it wouldn't last - not in my system anyway.
    So for whatever reason I've got it into my head that a Quad power amp/pre power/ might be suitable. 606, 909, 405-2 ?? What can I expect? Just want something with real audiophile qualities - something I feel the Nait is missing - I guess it is only an entry level amp, but I'm not even sure going further up the Naim ladder would help. Was thinking 606/909 with some cheap passive pre. If you have any other recommendations please add them. I listen to a lot of Jazz cds at the minute, day and night, I find myself very drawn to Jazz, and think I will be for a good while now. My current set up isn;t too kind to those blaring saxs/trumpets. I think in the long run I might need to change the Ruarks, I think the tweeters underperform. But for now I just want rid of the Nait. Remote control would be nice, but seeing as I'm listening to a lot of cds now, not essential. I will also buy a new dac to help the Pioneer along, something like a Beresford or Raspberry as I hear good things about them.
    The 606 or 909 or 306 are excellent with passives, due the sensitivity being low. I use a pair of 306's - one per channel, and my own ldr attenuator.
    reviewed here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...ttenuator-kit/
    Similarly I listen to lots of jazz. You are on a winner choosing similarly.

I'm matt.

I use a 306 (dada upgrade) with a cheap Little Bear passive (£25 ebay). It's the easiest amp I've ever worked on. Two screws and you have access to the circuit board, and every component is numbered to match the circuit diagram.

The 306 has tight but deep bass with good punch, nice clean midrange and smooth highs. An absolute bargain at around £200 and it's only a tiny thing too. There's no way I'd ever go back to Naim...

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I use a 306 (dada upgrade) with a cheap Little Bear passive (£25 ebay). It's the easiest amp I've ever worked on. Two screws and you have access to the circuit board, and every component is numbered to match the circuit diagram.

The 306 has tight but deep bass with good punch, nice clean midrange and smooth highs. An absolute bargain at around £200 and it's only a tiny thing too. There's no way I'd ever go back to Naim...
    That sounds like what I'm looking for, till I won't know for sure till I hear one!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Howard.

That sounds like what I'm looking for, till I won't know for sure till I hear one!

I’d be wary of cheap passive pre amps with quads, my experience with the Tisbury amp was not so positive, at least try and hear one with a 34 or 44 preamp too to compare.

If you’re buying quads, it’s worth paying extra for one that’s been serviced by quad. They’re solid pieces of equipment, but they’re old. When you see claims on eBay that they’ve been serviced ask who did it and ask for the receipt. If the seller has a box and manual, and the amp is clean, it’s a good sign too. They’re always coming up on eBay, so bide your time and wait for a good one.

At the moment my favourite quad power amp is the 303 in fact, I have it paired with a Quad 34 and driving monitor speakers, it sounds so musical!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post
    I’d be wary of cheap passive pre amps with quads, my experience with the Tisbury amp was not so positive, at least try and hear one with a 34 or 44 preamp too to compare.
    Agree. Just in general lol.

Get a good pre or NOTHING will sound as it should.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post
    I’d be wary of cheap passive pre amps with quads, my experience with the Tisbury amp was not so positive
    I'm not keen on the Tisbury either. The ultra cheap 'Little Bear' passive I got from China sounds way better, although it's not suited to use with Quad amps.

The Promitheus TVC pre-amp works very nicely with Quads, but they are getting scarce these days.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The ultra cheap 'Little Bear' passive I got from China sounds way better, although it's not suited to use with Quad amps.
    Why's it not suited to use with Quad amps?

I'm Steve.

Hii Mike
    Your giving the Monarchy Amp a bad reputation, the hardness in sound was from the Nakamich, there was no hardness when played
    at my house using a stereo coffee passive.
    The Nak has a reasonably good phono stage but used as a pre definitely sounds hard especially when you turn the wick up

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hii Mike
    Your giving the Monarchy Amp a bad reputation, the hardness in sound was from the Nakamich, there was no hardness when played
    at my house using a stereo coffee passive.
    The Nak has a reasonably good phono stage but used as a pre definitely sounds hard especially when you turn the wick up

Steve...
    Hi Steve,
    Yes I did say 'in my system', I've read some very good user reviews of the Monarchy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast