I wish to change my amplification, I have the humble Nait 5 (with extra flatcap power supply!) as my main amp, Ruark Talisman speaker, Pioneer PD 8700 cdp, Graham slee era v gold phono stage. Notts analogue TT. I wish to get rid of the Nait and get something better. I recently borrowed a little known U.S. amp - the Monarchy sm70, tried that with my (now sold) Nakamichi ca-5, it was clearly a lot better than the Nait, but it was so unbearably hard sounding, I knew it wouldn't last - not in my system anyway.
So for whatever reason I've got it into my head that a Quad power amp/pre power/ might be suitable. 606, 909, 405-2 ?? What can I expect? Just want something with real audiophile qualities - something I feel the Nait is missing - I guess it is only an entry level amp, but I'm not even sure going further up the Naim ladder would help. Was thinking 606/909 with some cheap passive pre. If you have any other recommendations please add them. I listen to a lot of Jazz cds at the minute, day and night, I find myself very drawn to Jazz, and think I will be for a good while now. My current set up isn;t too kind to those blaring saxs/trumpets. I think in the long run I might need to change the Ruarks, I think the tweeters underperform. But for now I just want rid of the Nait. Remote control would be nice, but seeing as I'm listening to a lot of cds now, not essential. I will also buy a new dac to help the Pioneer along, something like a Beresford or Raspberry as I hear good things about them.