+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 458

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

  1. #441
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 926
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Well, the Velleman was cancelled, the Khozmo has been here for a while, too lean me thinks. Anyhow as much as I've been astounded at the 909s ability to produce a truly hi fi sound, I now feel it is lacking slam, and am missing my old gear, possible because I've been playing my rock stuff lately, and the 909 lacks.....Time to plug the 306 back in. Over the next week I'll have the Croft 25 finally arriving, see how I get on with that....
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

  2. #442
    Join Date: Apr 2011

    Location: cheltenham

    Posts: 548
    I'm matt.

    Default

    The one thing that stood out when I first plugged in the 306, apart from the clean, well projected vocals was the bass slam. Not just powerful, but deep and tight.

  3. #443
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 926
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    The one thing that stood out when I first plugged in the 306, apart from the clean, well projected vocals was the bass slam. Not just powerful, but deep and tight.
    Yeh, I look forward to reusing the 306, just have to get around to soldering new speaker posts on....Meanwhile I got a Croft 25 pre on the way, see how that changes things.
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

  4. #444
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 40,787
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    I enjoy my two 306's, more so than the larger Quads really, but you may have fun comparing one to this.



    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digit...53.m1438.l2649

    I have two of these as well.

    Plus suitable power supplies, which are unfortunately nearly seven quid each!
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  5. #445
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 926
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I enjoy my two 306's, more so than the larger Quads really, but you may have fun comparing one to this.



    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digit...53.m1438.l2649

    I have two of these as well.

    Plus suitable power supplies, which are unfortunately nearly seven quid each!
    Do you use them as mono blocks? I am seriously impressed with the 909 and its hifi credentials, but I do miss slam, I might just swap it with the 306 every few months and change music taste accordingly!
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

  6. #446
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 926
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Well, the Croft is here, listened for a few hours, won't make any judgments yet, but its making my 909 very hot, even hotter than the Khozmo did. Somebody mentioned changing a resistor in the Quad, or summut or other! I dunno.
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

  7. #447
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: scotland

    Posts: 333
    I'm alan.

    Default

    Well I bought a pair of new Monarchy Audio SM70 Pros on the back of all the hype and being HiFi+ product of the year etc etc etc......

    Found them shit to be honest.

  8. #448
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 9,228
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    Well I bought a pair of new Monarchy Audio SM70 Pros on the back of all the hype and being HiFi+ product of the year etc etc etc......

    Found them shit to be honest.
    Mad isn't it. I rate them highly.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

    Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

  9. #449
    Join Date: Sep 2013

    Location: North Island New Zealand

    Posts: 1,348
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Well, the Croft is here, listened for a few hours, won't make any judgments yet, but its making my 909 very hot, even hotter than the Khozmo did. Somebody mentioned changing a resistor in the Quad, or summut or other! I dunno.
    A 909 I am assisting a friend with, is crying out for heatsinking compound between each side of the transistor bracket for each channel and the casework heatsink
    I would suggest without delay you spend an hour or so doing the same preferably today. The result guaranteed by not doing this is failure of any of the six transistors per channel.
    The reasons for this are the choice Quad made with using 0.1R emitter resistors, that are border-line with needed resistance at the transistor emitter.
    Fitting 0.2 or 0.3 ohm resistors to each emitter is a better choice. But if you don't want to go to that trouble, adequately cooling the amp by applying heatsinking compound
    to the top and bottom side of each transistor bracket will save you a costly repair bill. Note there are simple precautions with skin contact & the chemicals within heatsinking compound

    The resistor you refer to is R11 normally a 7R5 which sets the sensitivity to be as I recall for the 909 @775mv. As such the 909 really suits passives, including LDR types very well.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 05-07-2019 at 00:16.

  10. #450
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Brighton, UK.

    Posts: 926
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    A 909 I am assisting a friend with, is crying out for heatsinking compound between each side of the transistor bracket for each channel and the casework heatsink
    I would suggest without delay you spend an hour or so doing the same preferably today. The result guaranteed by not doing this is failure of any of the six transistors per channel.
    However applying heatsinking compound will save you a costly repair bill. Note there are precautions with skin contact & the chemicals within heatsinking compound

    The resistor you refer to is R11 normally a 7R5 which sets the sensitivity to be as I recall for the 909 @775mv. As such the 909 suits passives, including LDR types very well.
    Thanks Chris, the 909 was serviced by the last owner back in 2017, wouldn't Quad have ensured enough heatsink compound?
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •