+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

Default Advice on Quad power amps.

I wish to change my amplification, I have the humble Nait 5 (with extra flatcap power supply!) as my main amp, Ruark Talisman speaker, Pioneer PD 8700 cdp, Graham slee era v gold phono stage. Notts analogue TT. I wish to get rid of the Nait and get something better. I recently borrowed a little known U.S. amp - the Monarchy sm70, tried that with my (now sold) Nakamichi ca-5, it was clearly a lot better than the Nait, but it was so unbearably hard sounding, I knew it wouldn't last - not in my system anyway.
    So for whatever reason I've got it into my head that a Quad power amp/pre power/ might be suitable. 606, 909, 405-2 ?? What can I expect? Just want something with real audiophile qualities - something I feel the Nait is missing - I guess it is only an entry level amp, but I'm not even sure going further up the Naim ladder would help. Was thinking 606/909 with some cheap passive pre. If you have any other recommendations please add them. I listen to a lot of Jazz cds at the minute, day and night, I find myself very drawn to Jazz, and think I will be for a good while now. My current set up isn;t too kind to those blaring saxs/trumpets. I think in the long run I might need to change the Ruarks, I think the tweeters underperform. But for now I just want rid of the Nait. Remote control would be nice, but seeing as I'm listening to a lot of cds now, not essential. I will also buy a new dac to help the Pioneer along, something like a Beresford or Raspberry as I hear good things about them.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I wish to change my amplification, I have the humble Nait 5 (with extra flatcap power supply!) as my main amp, Ruark Talisman speaker, Pioneer PD 8700 cdp, Graham slee era v gold phono stage. Notts analogue TT. I wish to get rid of the Nait and get something better. I recently borrowed a little known U.S. amp - the Monarchy sm70, tried that with my (now sold) Nakamichi ca-5, it was clearly a lot better than the Nait, but it was so unbearably hard sounding, I knew it wouldn't last - not in my system anyway.
    So for whatever reason I've got it into my head that a Quad power amp/pre power/ might be suitable. 606, 909, 405-2 ?? What can I expect? Just want something with real audiophile qualities - something I feel the Nait is missing - I guess it is only an entry level amp, but I'm not even sure going further up the Naim ladder would help. Was thinking 606/909 with some cheap passive pre. If you have any other recommendations please add them. I listen to a lot of Jazz cds at the minute, day and night, I find myself very drawn to Jazz, and think I will be for a good while now. My current set up isn;t too kind to those blaring saxs/trumpets. I think in the long run I might need to change the Ruarks, I think the tweeters underperform. But for now I just want rid of the Nait. Remote control would be nice, but seeing as I'm listening to a lot of cds now, not essential. I will also buy a new dac to help the Pioneer along, something like a Beresford or Raspberry as I hear good things about them.
    The 606 or 909 or 306 are excellent with passives, due the sensitivity being low. I use a pair of 306's - one per channel, and my own ldr attenuator.
    reviewed here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...ttenuator-kit/
    Similarly I listen to lots of jazz. You are on a winner choosing similarly.

I'm matt.

I use a 306 (dada upgrade) with a cheap Little Bear passive (£25 ebay). It's the easiest amp I've ever worked on. Two screws and you have access to the circuit board, and every component is numbered to match the circuit diagram.

The 306 has tight but deep bass with good punch, nice clean midrange and smooth highs. An absolute bargain at around £200 and it's only a tiny thing too. There's no way I'd ever go back to Naim...

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Hii Mike
    Your giving the Monarchy Amp a bad reputation, the hardness in sound was from the Nakamich, there was no hardness when played
    at my house using a stereo coffee passive.
    The Nak has a reasonably good phono stage but used as a pre definitely sounds hard especially when you turn the wick up

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Martin.

Agree about the Monarchy, I had one here and it is not hard sounding. Quite an impressive amp actually, did not give much away to the Krell KSA50S which is high praise indeed.

Pre-amps can be make or break to a system and not everything works well with everything else (that would make things too easy after all).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Agree about the Monarchy, I had one here and it is not hard sounding. Quite an impressive amp actually, did not give much away to the Krell KSA50S which is high praise indeed.

Pre-amps can be make or break to a system and not everything works well with everything else (that would make things too easy after all).
    It's the one you heard Macca.

The Monarchy is ruthlessly revealing and will show up anything undesirable in the chain.

Tried it with a Passive SA preamp, DCB1 and a Valve pre. Sounded fantastic with them. I can only agree with Steve that the hardness is probably the Nakamichi.

I'm jamie.

Yep I also agree on the nak, I used Steve’s Monarchy Amp for a while with it and wondered what all the hype was about? Thankfully the Jw kt88 amp was soon back in action.
    Last edited by karma67; 31-01-2019 at 13:09.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I use a 306 (dada upgrade) with a cheap Little Bear passive (£25 ebay). It's the easiest amp I've ever worked on. Two screws and you have access to the circuit board, and every component is numbered to match the circuit diagram.

The 306 has tight but deep bass with good punch, nice clean midrange and smooth highs. An absolute bargain at around £200 and it's only a tiny thing too. There's no way I'd ever go back to Naim...
    That sounds like what I'm looking for, till I won't know for sure till I hear one!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hii Mike
    Your giving the Monarchy Amp a bad reputation, the hardness in sound was from the Nakamich, there was no hardness when played
    at my house using a stereo coffee passive.
    The Nak has a reasonably good phono stage but used as a pre definitely sounds hard especially when you turn the wick up

Steve...
    Hi Steve,
    Yes I did say 'in my system', I've read some very good user reviews of the Monarchy.

I'm Svend.

Mike, back to your question -- my father-in-law has the 405-2 power amp, paired with a matching preamp. It sounds very good, but I think it needs to be matched with an efficient speaker. In his first setup he ran it with some KEF Ref. 103.2s, in a large room with vaulted ceiling and carpeted floor, and the amp was underpowered and anaemic sounding; rather dull actually. Not a happy combo. Then he got some more efficient Energy floor-standers and the system really came alive. His new listening room is still large, also has vaulted ceiling, but is slightly smaller than previous. The amp sounds punchy, fluid, dynamic...very musical. It has no problem filling the space with music.

Hope this helps...

Svend

PS -- for what it's worth, I now have his KEF 103.2s, paired with a Belles 100W power amp, and those speakers sound fantastic driven by that amp, which tells me they need some ooomph to really make them come alive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast