+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Woo Audio Headphone Amps

I'm Shane.

Default Woo Audio Headphone Amps

Anyone here using Woo Audio headfi gear? Any good?

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Dave.

I have a Woo Wee, which I bought to replace a 40 year old, but still working, Stax SRD 7SB MKii.

Is it the dog's danglies ...no.
    Is it good ....yes.

I think its on a par with the Stax. I needed an energiser that allowed a speaker bypass, like the Stax. Some refurbished Stax have had the bypass disconnected. I didn't want a line energiser like most of the Stax amps are now. So it's a little bit like beggars can't be choosers.

What I have found is that it is affected by the support underneath it. With my usual combination of glass, acrylic and bamboo supports, the Wee sounds warm and a bit lifeless. Placing it just on glass with Sounddiscs (vibration dampening) under the feet, and it is dynamic, transparent and a more than adequate replacement.

Unlike some electronics, I don't think its adding its 'own sound' at all.

Your problem, like mine was, is hearing it first. I took a chance, and was originally a bit disappointed, but once I'd sussed out that the support shelf was the problem, I'm now a happy bunny.

But there are better, and very much more expensive, headphone energisers available (but very few with a speaker bypass that is a requirement for me).

I'm Shane.

I'm aiming at their standard amps. For example, the WA3 OTL.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Robin.

As far as I know they are not CE compliant so may cause some issues.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by doodoos View Post
    As far as I know they are not CE compliant so may cause some issues.
    What issues? Spill it!

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Robin.

Legally non compliant manufactured products are not licensed to be sold in the EU. Whether that matters or not to you is personal choice. Might hit resale values I guess. Don’t think it applies to diy kit but unsure.
    Just flagging it up ‘‘tis all.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Justin.

I had a WA3.

Used it as an active pre in the second system, and as a headphone amp.

It was OK. Best with GEC 6080. Tried a load of options and I still have the valves.

Overall, though, for headphones I'd rather use a solid state device. I'm not sure I like valve euphonics with headphones. Or in phono stages.

Probably why the GECs won. The most neutral option I found.

It's a nice item to own. Well made. And it doubles as a single input active pre.

+ Reply to Thread