+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SEG with new Dorado

I'm Dave.

Default SEG with new Dorado

I bought a new DAC off Stan a SEG 2 weeks before Christmas,to replace my older Caimen which went to a family member, at the time I considered getting the Dorado PSU Enhancer, but decided to fly under the radar and keep the spend down to £200+ and then get the Dorado in January.

Well I ordered a Durado up yesterday from Stan, and once again first class service with a knock on the door from the postman before 11am this morning.

Lets get to the unboxing bit first, I was surprised opening up the box to see how small the Dorado is, I had visions after looking on Stans website that it would be around the same size as my 15v Linear PSU, its not, its like the size of a mobile phone from 5yrs ago but twice as thick.

Instructions read not that you need to but I was interested in what the colours of the LED were and the status it showed? Once wired up and switched on it did sit on Red for quite a while ( I did read that on another post here) I rang Stan and he said yes normal. The LED changed to Blue and away we went. I ran through some tracks I'm familiar with (Eva Cassidy Fields Of Gold) (Fleetwood Mac) and to be honest I was sceptical of what difference the little black box would or could make? How wrong I was!
    The tracks on female voices where they hit the high note had become clearer, the bass threw me completely I got up twice during the session to check the sub was turned off, the bass is tighter and intergrated into the music and the separation of instruments gave tracks I know well a completely different sound stage. Some four hours later and trying everything from Female Country to Jazz to Military Marches I am certain the Dorado has either burnt in or I have ? It now sounds fuller if thats the word where as out the box it sounded Lean, but thats saying lean out the box compared to 4 hrs later.

I have to say that if you have one of the latest SEG DAC's and your not running a Dorado and like me thought what would it do ? My advice is GET ONE !

Thanks for the First Class Service Stan.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotist View Post
    I ran through some tracks I'm familiar with (Eva Cassidy Fields Of Gold) (Fleetwood Mac) and to be honest I was sceptical of what difference the little black box would or could make? How wrong I was!
    I have mentioned on numerous occasions that if someone can't hear a difference with the Dorado within the 1st minute of listening, they should send it back. The only one I have had back so far is from someone who wanted a remote controlled DAC instead of a better sound quality.

I'm Dave.

Soap Land is on and been using the Headphones and even thats changed and gone up several notches in line with my experience this afternoon, well pleased
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Nick.

I'm always tempted to use it's price as a qualifier for its quality but I've found that after a few months with it, it's hard to put a price on the difference the Dorado makes. It's quite astounding.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Dave.

Well its Day 2 from getting the Dorado and I'm hearing the odd note or three in tracks that I know well, that are making me look up from reading the morning paper with Music on in the background. I can't get over the clarity improvement I'm hearing, one track Crystal Gayle - Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue I'm hearing different notes due to better separation. I'm listening to all my favourite artists again and they sound a lot different, well pleased I bought a Dorado.

Cheers Stan.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Dave.

Had my new SEG and Dorado 23 Days (200hrs +time on) and had lots listening on Demos and everyones said about the separation of the music, and the clarity and how they can hear all the different instruments which is good, well for me and not sure what they think when they get home and switch on?

Best money I've spent on a upgrade.
    Last edited by Hypnotist; 21-02-2019 at 15:54.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotist View Post
    Best money I've spent on a upgrade.
    Couldn't agree more. Not only was the SEG an upgrade on what I had already but the Dorado is such a step up from just a wall plug.

Bang for buck it's unrivalled imho

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Graeme.

Default burning in now..SEG with Dorado

Well, I was using a CambridgeAudio DacMagic (quite a few years old).

First impressions after 4 hours of listening to various such as Tool, Bjork, Miles Davis and Godflesh via Tidal hiDef streaming from macBook.

Everything sounds tighter and leveled, and I hear more detail and separation.

My SEG hasn't burned in yet (some say that works for them, some some say no difference.. subjective I know).

I've now enquired about the 'Full Monty' upgrade.

Having owned a couple of DACs,, previously the TC7510.. the SEG is a fine piece of kit indeed, very happy customer.
    I can whistle with my fingers, especially if I have a whistle.

+ Reply to Thread