+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambridge audio

I'm Adam.

Still got a CD1 complete with the very rare error counter module in my loft. Still works, too, last time I tried it!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Still got a CD1 complete with the very rare error counter module in my loft. Still works, too, last time I tried it!
    Fantastic ! I remember it very well. The CD2 also had an error indicator but of course the whole thing was beset with errors the biggest of which was the LED display that would just lose some of its segments for no real reason. After I'd had it a few years the damn thing would then refuse to read any discs. The real kick in the nuts was then of course that there was no backup support of any kind and a company that had huge issues. So after spending 600 quid back in 1988, a large sum of money, on what was supposed to be a first class CD player, you were left with a knackered pile of junk.

After this though I moved upwards to a Meridian two box jobbie. Things then became so much better.

I'm Rick.

The original CD1 and CD2 hd the Phillips drawer mechanism with their own front plate.

It was a really good unit but at that time there wasn't as much choice as there is now.

As far as I'm aware, Richer Sounds now own Cambridge Audio and they are related in name only. That said most (if not all) of the stuff on the market today will bear little resemblance to those of 20 years ago.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPullar View Post

As far as I'm aware, Richer Sounds now own Cambridge Audio and they are related in name only. That said most (if not all) of the stuff on the market today will bear little resemblance to those of 20 years ago.
    Only the name, yes, but they are still a pretty serious hi-fi company. I had a P70 amplifier from the original Stan Curtis years that I used for a long time and is still going strong in a mate's system. I auditioned it against the Aura Evolution that was very popular at the time and there was just no contest.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nick.

Had a Dac Magic+ for years now, does the job
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Martin.

Hi currently using Azur 851D - doing a very good job. Also running a rig with 2x 840W in bridged mode, 840E and 840C again pleased with results. Few other bits here and there on various rigs.
    Their latest offerings look interesting.

I'm Oliver.

Currently using a Cambridge CXC Transport into a Caiman Seg, lovely sounds

I'm Cor.

Use the Sonata NP30 for streaming. Must say, it’s a really nice device but the software could be better. Latest Synology update refused to work with CA Connect, so I installed MinimServer. I own the CA Minx S325 5.1 speaker set also. The sub is small but a great performer, the Minx 20 speakers are used for back-surround. I’ve replaced the center Minx with a Magnat needle center speaker which sounds much better imo. I’ve also used the CA S30 scirocco speakers for a year or two, but wasn’t really happy with the sound quality (although jazz sounded great) so I sold them. Overall, the brandname Cambridge Audio sounds more solid to me than they actually perform.

Gold Guest

I have a cxc transport now and am pleased with it for what it cost. The tray is light and the load mechanism could have had some more weight put into it. The unit stands up to vibration pretty well which surprised me.

I have also had a DACmagic and wasn't too impressed - a bit thin-sounding but for the price not bad.

I also had a ca60 intergated amp a few years ago and it went wrong - plugging in headphones cut the speaker output (you can hear a relay click) but unplugging the headphones didn't restore the speakers. A hard reboot was required. Took it back and got a replacement but the transformer buzzed on that one - I could hear it 3 meters away. I was not really impressed by the sound - again a bit thin and bright even when paired with laid-back speakers.

I was surprised by the great reviews to be honest.

I would not buy the low-end stuff again but their pricier stuff looks interesting.

So mixed impressions.

I'm Michael.

I also have the CXC transport which works well as others have posted. I also own a pair of Aeromax 6 floorstanders which I am using at present. Bit of a bargin at the asking price I reckon. Look good in the room too with piano gloss white finish. These are the speakers fitted with BMR units that work from around 300 HZ upwards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast