+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews/Feedback

I'm Oliver.

Default Edward's SPOTFIRE review

Good grief! These cables are the bees knees.

I apologise in advance for using quite hackneyed lingo but it is difficult to find different language to describe what I'm hearing.

Just as a point of reference I have placed these cables between a DAC (Metrum HEX) and an integrated amp (Sugden Masterclass) driving Tannoy Eatons. Source is a mixture of Redbook and high res.

Anyway these cables open up the door a lot. Like going from a single door to bi-fold doors reaching across the building. Height and width of the sound is extended. Excellent depth as well so overall soundstage very realistic.

Nicely rounded across the range. Bass and treble 'makes sense', midrange sits well and is engaging. Whilst cables are ruthlessly analytical they are not glaring or digital sounding. Very organic analogue 'valve' texture. Be prepared for these cables to take no prisoners if presented with a poorly recorded track. What I'm enjoying in particular is the amount of micro detail these cables are able to grab. Essentially the cables get out of the way and let the music flow effortlessly.

Really excellent Oli. If you packaged them up in a classy box you would be able to sell them for 'hundreds', the prices you quoted earlier in this thread are a steal.

I'm Oliver.

Default Crackles's SPOTFIRE review

I can confirm these cables are bloody amazing.

Until I heard the Spotfires I've never been convinced that cables make that much difference ...at least not in this price range.

As soon as I plugged them in I couldn't believe the instant difference in soundstage and separation. On most albums I played they made a difference in separating out the instruments so nobody was 'stood in front of anyone else'. Often new details could be heard on tracks I've heard many times before.

On some music they also brighten things up a bit. So I tried them on some duller sounding records like the Black Uhuru Live album that I've had for about 30 years and sounds like it was recorded from outside the venue. The Spotfires didn't totally transform it but they gave it some life and made it sound more real than ever before.

The most impressive moment using them was when listening to the Ten Years After live album. The crowd noise before the encore actually sounded like a load of individual people clapping and shouting, not a mushed blur like you normally hear.

Suffice to say I can't recommend them highly enough. I've already ordered a pair from Oliver which the postie tried to deliver today.

I'm Oliver.

Default Karma67's SPOTFIRE review

Well i've just heard Oliver's cables. Thanks to Steve for popping over,(nice to meet you mate).

All i can say is i shall be buying some in the near future!

I use the Sommer Carbokab cable with MS Starline plugs which in my system bettered the Klotz MC5000.

The first track on the album by Yello called Toy, i could hear the female singing move forward with better clarity. Swapping back to the Sommer cable she retreats towards the back of my soundstage, i tried this 3 times and it kept happening.

I don't know what that's called in audiophile terms but i like it a lot!

I'm very impressed Oli, well done mate.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Time for a proper website Oli with a dedicated page for customer feedback you will reach more potential customers imho

Do bear in mind you have to have documented proof of all your reviews separately from on line presence, more red tape (deep joy) they keep placing on us!
    Oh good grief! Documented proof!

I'm not even sure where to go with that lol. I'm happy just floating around the forum for now.

I suppose if things grow then a website is a must. I'll be in touch for guidance lol.

I'm Tony.

Oli,

Just working within ASA/CAP rules, documented proof for all on line reviews are required, I know more red tape and it takes up a lot of HDD space (some of the older ones we have are on paper lol) but it seems that is requirement.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Oli,

Just working within ASA/CAP rules, documented proof for all on line reviews are required, I know more red tape and it takes up a lot of HDD space (some of the older ones we have are on paper lol) but it seems that is requirement.
    Thanks Tony, obviously something I'll need to look into.

I'm Oliver.

Default Simon_LDT's SPOTFIRE review

Equipment used, Linn Akurate DS0/1 with uprated board. EAR 834 Integrated. Impulse Lali speakers. Spotfire Cables and Black Rhodium Jive speaker cable. CD player used is an Arcam Alpha 5 with Avondale Engineering mods recently purchased. Room isn't big at around 11' x 13' with speakers about 2M apart and similar distance to listening spot. Room isn't fully treated but has some, with improvements still needed. Therefore not a perfect listening environment.

Okay. First impressions were great, as already mentioned the sound was nice and clear and detailed.

I have listened to the Spotfires a lot this Sunday and they are great. Not perfect, what is?! This was done on the Linn streamer to get used to them.

Pros/ A lovely more forward presentation, detailed and tight bass control. I felt that bass was tighter and although certain tracks can excite the room with bass bloom, it was definitely less apparent with the Spotfires. Brings more depth to the sound-stage and keeps busy music under control. In fact, this was the biggest plus point to me, how controlled everything was compared to other cables I own. I could turn the wick far higher on my EAR amp than ever before, nothing sounded as compressed or harsh with music not of great recordings which is most of my library and I was quite concerned I'd blow speakers! I bottled it at around 100db as it was a Sunday & I live in a block of flats...

Con/ There was a tiny amount of sibilance apparent on some music I tried through either the Linn streamer or CD player. This happens on other cables as well. I'm investigating whether electronic noise is getting in to the digital domain somewhere but clearly I'm no expert.
    Otherwise very little to distract from a lovely well constructed cable.

To summarise, I like these cables a lot, so far the best I have tried. I'd like to take my time; maybe speaking to Oliver via PM to see if I can experiment more with different speaker cable to see if I can lose that small amount of sibilance & try them against other i/c's available but I will definitely be voting with my wallet.

I'm Oliver.

Default Ian7633's SPOTFIRE review

I've had the Spotfire interconnects in my system for a few days now giving me the chance to have a good listen to what they do.

Firstly I must point out I'm using a new amp so I'm quite tuned in to any changes at the moment.

On opening the box the first thing to strike me about the Spotfires was the quality of construction and finish. Once plumbed in my first impressions were the extra detail after the Sommer Cabokab/MS Audio cable I had been using.

There was a definite increase in depth of detail, the definition in female vocals, the clarity of higher range percussion instruments and an overall sense of control. I also thought there was less "shrillness" to some vocals, Janis Joplin especially.

So, would I buy them, definitely yes, watch your inbox for my order Oliver.

I'm Oliver.

Default Karma67 SPOTFIRE IC & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable comments

ok so i have the loan spotfire interconnects here,

I'm already using the tonearm version of the spotfire,all be it not properly bedded in yet,id say about 6hrs use so far.

I've stuck the loan spotfire pair last in the chain,going from my pre amp to the amp,between this is one pair of sommer cables connecting my head amp to the pre.

once again i've found another step up, im listen to a lot of julian bream at the moment and i can say that i noticed some more clarity coming through, the acoustic guitar twang and finger plucks in particular, finger slides have become quite realistic, not that they weren't before but now they are a joy too hear,all adding to that 'he's in the room' experience. I'm not there yet i should say but i feel these cables are a step in the right direction.

Oliver told me you can hear a difference with each interconnect that is replaced and so far i agree.

if you own a set of these cables you need 2 sets lol

they are without doubt the best cables ive used to date.

another order coming your way soon mate. nice one!

I'm Oliver.

Default docps SPOTFIRE review

I have a fair few expensive cables but took an interest in Oliver's Spotfires as I am looking for a bespoke length. I have also recently invested in a similar cable from Oliver for my tonearm (Jelco on a LP12) which I am very satisfied with.

To listen to the quality of the Spotfires I, rather unfairly, removed my Transparent Audio Ultra cable (current retail 1400ish) from between my Modwright LS36.5 and my Auralic Vega DAC.

The Ultras are the best cable I have ever had in my system and unsurprisingly beat off the competition from this cheap usurper. However, to suggest they were 10 times better is simply ridiculous. The Ultras had a little more definition when tracks became heavier and more complicated. One such track which highlighted this was a song by New Model Army which had a second bassline beneath the surface and the Ultras kept this in good order while the Spotfires muddied this somewhat.

The Ultras also appeared to have slightly better overall definition within the lower regions but this was rather marginal. On simpler tracks like a lot of my favoured acoustic ones, the Spotfires held their own and provided excellent tonal balance.

I believe Oliver deserves a lot of credit for his achievements with this cable which is a veritable bargain. Perhaps I should place my order quickly before he reads this and puts his prices up!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast