+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad paint job

I'm dave.

Default Quad paint job

I have a set of Quad 33/fm3 for sale but the cases are very tatty I can get them power coated for £30 but only a few shades darker than the original ( the finish is fantastic as I have done my set in the same colour ) the coating is very durable unlike the original quad paint . My question is will it be worth it or do I need to be hung drawn and quartered for messing with the Quad's
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any tool can be used as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by nutteronthebus View Post
    I have a set of Quad 33/fm3 for sale but the cases are very tatty I can get them power coated for £30 but only a few shades darker than the original ( the finish is fantastic as I have done my set in the same colour ) the coating is very durable unlike the original quad paint . My question is will it be worth it or do I need to be hung drawn and quartered for messing with the Quad's
    Dave
    I'm a Quad fan boy but don't see a problem if it's a close match - they are hardly an endangered species, I have done worse to a 33 (RCA inputs and separate PSU for starters )

Doubt you will see the value with resale though - probably only slightly better than selling them tatty.
    Worth bearing in mind that Dada sell powder coated replacements for 38 euro (with a 10 euro rebate for old one)

I'm Dennis.

Laugh guys, I made a headphone control box in '75, and 'matched using a cast alloy RS box, copying the Quad's three knob tone controls on it, but they were; left sensitivity, mix, and right sensitivity controls, with a switch in the middle to switch in the mix L and R, or not.

I sprayed it with a green version of the Quad scheme, using Vauxhall Emerald Starmist for the darker, and a Ford lighter colour for the lighter green, both metallic, and then a polyurethane coat on top for protection.

Although the circuitry has been altered over the years for different headphones, it is still in good condition, and I got a place at South bank Poly for Engineering Product Design, by presenting it at my interview.

It is now in the back bedroom, from which I sing, for monitoring and playing guitar into the studio downstairs, using remote MIDI control.

What sort of durability is required in a domestic situation; I look after all my gear?

I'm Alex.

I love Quad equipment, have a few items, however most will know that their paint (years ago) could be quite variable in both shade and quality.

I bought a new 44 when they first came out, within weeks the front panel paint was wearing off around the volume control.

A phone call to Quad and I had a new front panel delivered absolutely free in a day or so. This panel was fitted and still to this day looks as new.

Years ago, I got car paint from Halfords to near enough match some old Quad equipment.
    Spendorman

I'm dave.

I must admit to upgrading the quad 33 with new caps low noise resistors and BC550 transistors as well as the power supply to 16v ( also a new power board with a 78L15 for a stable 15v supply)

Dave

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by nutteronthebus View Post
    I must admit to upgrading the quad 33 with new caps low noise resistors and BC550 transistors as well as the power supply to 16v ( also a new power board with a 78L15 for a stable 15v supply)

Dave
    ... also guilty as charged - did the whole biz including this:
    (the mods are most definitely well worthwhile though)

I'm dave.

Hi all I note that this post has 50/50 to paint or not there is also one on https://www.facebook.com/groups/4842...?ref=bookmarks as well the art of sound forum . It looks like a lot of quad owners need a paint/powder coat on there Quads if any one knows a powder coat firm that will do batch of these it may be worth having them done ( the 1 I used did a great job just the wrong shade brown/green and the correct colour needs the powder that cost a lot for 1 )

+ Reply to Thread