+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed: CD Transport

I'm Jesper.

Default Help needed: CD Transport

Hi fellow music lovers

I’m in the process of assembling, what I hope, will end up being a serious setup
    So far I have the speakers, DAC(preamp), AMP & power management, that I believe is “up” there

Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Bryston 14B SST2
    ATC SCM 100 Classic
    & a Furman P2300 IT E
    These are my “keepers”, I do have a decent CD player, a TEAC PD 501HR, nice little device
    But here is where your Help would be most appreciated - I’d love to upgrade to a really great CD transport

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this matter & off course what you use your self

All inputs are highly appreciated!

Finding and getting a demo of high end gear here in little Denmark is not easy
    -I have tried to get a demo of the Bricasti M5 for some 6 months now, the only way so far is a privat demo a nice guy have offered me, the dealer only takes home units when you buy one

Thanks upfront for your time

Jesper “studio Gear head”

I'm David.

Are you able to get a dem of a CEC transport? We demo'ed one a couple of years ago against a Project RS Box, and although we purchase the Project since it was only to be used as a 2nd source, the CEC was better. One cdp I would love to hear would be this https://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet...onse-nr-202429

I'm Martin.

I'd stick with the TEAC. There's only so much a cd transport can contribute and the TEAC is almost certainly already doing it. Plus it looks pretty cool too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd stick with the TEAC. There's only so much a cd transport can contribute and the TEAC is almost certainly already doing it. Plus it looks pretty cool too.
    Better transports make a massive difference to sound quality in my direct experience over the years. Last time I had that reinforced was comparing two esoteric transports, the dearer of the two destroyed the cheaper. Over the years I have done comparisons and owned transports from companies like Marantz, Micromega, Audiomecca, Meridian, Deltec, Teac, Wadia, Esoteric, to name a few and in every case the better quality the transport the better the reproduction of music was. Digital cabling is important as well.

My advice seek out a quality used transport from Esoteric, CEC, Micromega, Audiomecca or similar. Bits are bits argument holds no water and the better the transport the better the music will be, and a dedicated CD transport is the preferred path, not a DVD player.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Good advice there from Neil. I agree with all that.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Another plus from me, a good transport makes a difference. Macca, I would think the reason your Technics sounds so good is because it has a good transport.

I'm Martin.

Not disputing that the transport can make a difference and in some case a big difference. I just don't think it will in this specific case. The Teac has separate power supply for the digital stage, looks well engineered. There's a limit to how good you can get.

That's just, like, my opinion of course. But then opinions was what was asked for.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Talking of esoteric, try this. I reckon they think it makes a difference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESOTERIC-...cAAOSwH2tbXILm

I'm Alex.

I have an Audionote CDT3 transport. One of the reasons for buying it, is support. If anything goes wrong, Audionote have large stocks of the Phillips Pro mechanisms to keep it running for years to come. It sounds very good as well :-)

I'm Andrew.

I have two CD transports one is a Meridian 200 and it works well and sounds fine . In isolation I do not think you would have much of a feeling that your are missing much if anything . However in my main music system I have Theta Data Basic transport and even I have to admit that it is just better in all areas . I bought it second hand for around £250 about ten years ago and I have never felt the need to improve on it . it is not the last word on any testing specification chart but it is still the most musical Transport I have heard .

Problem is you need to hear as mant Ransports in your system and against your TEAC . I used to have a TEAC P500 unit which was superb but proved to be a little unreliable which was a real shame . I would suggest if you can you try and orgainse a Transport Bake Off and ask anyone coming to bring a Transport which will give you a chance of hearing a number of units in your system and seeing how the TEAC compares .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast