+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital Active Speakers - My experience to date

I'm Andrew.

Hi Edward

Will try and be clear as it is vital that we are talking about the same set up . I use one of the Quad 405 amplifiers for the Left Speaker with the Right channel connected to the Bass input and the Left channel connected to the treble input . These use MiniDSP outputs 3 and 4 which are powered by Input 2 . I then use the second Quad 405 Amplifier connected to the right hand speaker again the right channel connected to the Bass inputs and the Left channel connected to the Treble inputs . This is connected to the MiniDSP via outputs 1 and 2 which are driven by input one . The DDRC units is set up using the DDRC software to be the digital crossover for the speakers in the case of the Kef 103 units this is set with Bass from 10HZ - 3000HZ and Treble from 3000 HZ upto 20000 kHZ I used a L&R 24 DB slope CR .

I have added a couple of screen prints from the DIRAC porject which I hope are what you want. One of the things I find most useful about the DIRAC is that once you have finished all the measurements and the Filter is generated with the project still open you can play music through the system and then from your normal listening position you can make changes to the curve there and then and they apply straight away so you can hear what the change is and make little (or large) adjustments as you want . If you mess up then no bid deal just hit the button and it will take it back to the proposed house curve the system gives you which I am sure for many will be good enough .

I'm Edward.

Thanks Andrew. That is clear how you set up the Quads. However I don't understand why that config sounds better than just the 'normal' way of one amp driving the bass and the other the tweeters - all four channels of the Quads ought to be the same (give or take). And if one amp is mismatched (relative to the other) then in your setup you would get a mismatch between L and R (correctable of course via Dirac).

Your screenshots have come out too small to be easily legible - sorry.

Do you have a valve amp you could use to drive the tweeters? Could add some 'magic' to the top.

Oh sorry, another q if I may? Any reason why your are crossing at 3kz? Can you cross outside (either below or above) the voice frequency of say 250hz to 3.5kz
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

The main reason I have for explaining why this set up configuration sounds better is that there is zero cross talk . Both speakers and amplifiers are completely electronically and physically seperated. My two Quad amps are matched both have the identical same upgrades ,they have been matched for input sensitivity and both have the current limiting removed. The only physical difference they have is two different Mains smoothing Capacitors which should and I think does make no difference at all . While I enjoy measurments and the things they can show I also think we have to use the best measuring instruments we have which is the ears on the side of our heads and our brains . If you listen and it sounds good then it is good . Someone telling you that this or that is off or wrong is not really helpful or useful if you like the music being produced. Often it is stated as if it is fact that a perfectly flat response from 10 - 20000 is the ultimate goal . Well I have heard perfectly flat and frankly it is dull grey and boring and if I had to listen to music like that I would stop listening .

The crossover points are set by KEF who designed and made the drivers in my speakers. I checked using REW and guess what the 3000 kHZ crossover points were spot on they are the natural mechanical roll off of the bass drivers were they start to degrade and the strong rising point of the curve to the treble units . KEF as a compnay had some very gifted and high quality sound engineers working for them and they had much greater technical and engineering skill than I ever had or will have. If it was right for them I certainly can confirm that it is right for me . Testing , using information supplied by the makers and listening all has to be balanced and then you need to have conviction in your own ability to decide what you like and hear .

Yes I have tried nudging the cr point down a little and up a little but in each different case the sound was worse . The cr points I use are the right ones for this speaker with these drivers , sometimes we have to not try and invent the wheel but trust what more gifted individuals have already proved. That does not mean you should not try and see but do not expect that when others have done the same work you do your result will be different . In many cases if you do the exacr same measurment test the chances are it will be exactly the same . it should not stop you doing that work if you feel you want to but often all you do is confirm others results.

With regard to the attachements did you right click on them ? This gives you a bigger image which I checked and while not huge it was perfectly readable .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123