+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Class D come of age - Coherent amplification

I'm Alan.

Default Class D come of age - Coherent amplification

As a techie I have sort of been following the evolution of 'digital' or class D amplifiers.
    I know there are now some very good examples but I haven't heard any, until now.

During my recent visit to Coherent Systems I had the privilege of experiencing Tony's latest power amp, as yet unreleased.
    It has some amazing specs (20nS rise time, 100A instantaneous current delivery) but what does it sound like?

The short answer is nothing. Zip. Nada.
    By that I mean the music is just there in front of you. Loud or quiet, any genre just music.

Forget valve or solid state. Forget analogue or digital. Forget pixie dust or massive heatsinks - this amp is very efficient

This is the realisation of 'straight wire with gain', the rather wonderful line that Peter Walker came up with.
    Fantastic doesn't cover it.

I'm Geoff.

I can believe that Alan.

I have my cheapo TPA3116 in the system as my main amp at the moment and can't fault it. The valves, Quads and Sugden etc are taking a holiday.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Interesting.
    I've heard a fair few class d amps and while there was a wide range of presentations and excellence they all had a characteristic smoothing over of the finer details.
    I guess the Coherent amps have overcome this?

I'm Ian.

I've got a Rogue Audio Sphinx 2 which has a valve pre and class D (Hypex I think) power stage. Very happy with the sound and find it very funny when folk who have been listening quite happily to my system suddenly look as though someone in the room has farted when I tell them it's Class D!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting.
    I've heard a fair few class d amps and while there was a wide range of presentations and excellence they all had a characteristic smoothing over of the finer details.
    I guess the Coherent amps have overcome this?
    And some. Best sound I have ever heard.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    ... when folk who have been listening quite happily to my system suddenly look as though someone in the room has farted when I tell them it's Class D!
    That's class Ian

I'm Phil.

wow , i had a pair of tony [ coherants ] ref 1000 modded amps and they were superb . much better than the previous ref 1000 . had many things off tony over the years and glad you could get down there . i miss his place in malvern and ripple

he has a renovated pair of belles mb200 which are beautiful amps . had some before the msb , be interesting to compare them to the fb hybrid monoblocks
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

myself and deggie were listening to a little topping on monday with some p3esr and it did not sound bad at all

23 watts and 55 quid s/h !!!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Tony.

Alan brought with him his Firebottle mono's, which in fairness where very good, they drove the Quadral Galan's really well and sounded very good considering the cost, a real bargain imho.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Geoff.

I am convinced that class d is the way forward and that there are several current amps using this technology which can compete with the best in other classes. I speak as the owner of a very nice valve amp and beefy class a/b amp, as well as various "chip amps", class t designs and so forth.

As an additional consideration, and from an environmental perspective, I feel very guilty these days about the inefficiency of valve and class A designs, even though the SQ may be great.

Geoff

QUOTE=Firebottle;1053070]As a techie I have sort of been following the evolution of 'digital' or class D amplifiers.
    I know there are now some very good examples but I haven't heard any, until now.

During my recent visit to Coherent Systems I had the privilege of experiencing Tony's latest power amp, as yet unreleased.
    It has some amazing specs (20nS rise time, 100A instantaneous current delivery) but what does it sound like?

The short answer is nothing. Zip. Nada.
    By that I mean the music is just there in front of you. Loud or quiet, any genre just music.

Forget valve or solid state. Forget analogue or digital. Forget pixie dust or massive heatsinks - this amp is very efficient

This is the realisation of 'straight wire with gain', the rather wonderful line that Peter Walker came up with.
    Fantastic doesn't cover it.

[/QUOTE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast