+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the Cambridge Audio Aero range of speakers?

I'm Lawrence.

Default Anyone tried the Cambridge Audio Aero range of speakers?

I've just picked up a pair of the Aero 6. There are a multitude of positive reviews in the mags about this range and I got them at a fair price which I shouldn't have much trouble moving them on at so I thought why not give them a try?

They have the BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) which I believe is a spin off of the NXT technology recently discussed on here. These drivers go down to 250hz before the crossover kicks in, thus avoiding the critical midrange area. In fact you could think of them as a bargain hybrid panel speaker! The bass drivers are paper and they are 90db efficient so valve friendly. The only thing I couldn't understand is if the reviews are that good why aren't these a modern classic among valve amp fans?

Although I'm not a fan of vinyl wrap I have to admit they are not unattractive either. They also have plinths to stabilise them. Plus the ports are in the front so there's less issues with placement. They were originally £600 but were eventually reduced to £400 when the range ended. All in all they are in theory a great speaker and superb VFM But how do they sound in practice?

Well I can confirm the mags had it right (except What HiFi who said they were bright and needed to be partnered with laid back gear, what were they on that month??), these are very refined speakers with a sound you would expect to pay a lot more for. If you are after an upfront or bright pair of speakers you should look elsewhere. However if you want a relaxing sound on a budget, but still detailed with good resolution, just not throwing it in your face, these are ideal.

The bass was a little fruity but I stuck some bungs in the ports and brought them about a foot out from the wall which got rid of any hint of cabinet effects. I also moved them a good distance apart to make up for the apparent lack of soundstage from the reserved treble, and they sound bloody good. I think the BMR is going to take a bit of getting used to, in the same way as the Podium speakers that were discussed on here last year, but the omens are looking good. Definitely a pair to keep me going until I spot the next interesting pair to try anyway

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Interesting.
    I've been curious about the BMR driver but was a bit put off by its laidback rep.
    I do get on well with Podium panels, though.
    I might well look out for a pair of the Aero BMRs next time I fancy a speaker change in my 2nd system.

I'm Lawrence.

I've just switched to my Audioromy valve integrated and they've got quite a bit more life than with my class d amp which wasn't helping matters. I definitely need to bung the ports now though! I think these are the type that grow on you slowly, there's definitely something about that sound... The standmounts would probably be very nice as well.

I'm Rob.

I sourced a mint 2nd hand pair for my mate for £140. Cracking speakers for the money.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

I did toy with the idea of buying some of the big ones before I got my present speakers, but they wanted £600 for them back then which seemed a bit much to be taking a punt on. Also had a look at building some DIY but the only BMR drivers I could find for sale had very low power handling and weren't suitable.

In theory it should be possible to build a JBL type speaker with a 12 or 15 inch driver for the low bass and the BMR covering all the rest of the range much as the compression driver does in JBLs. But with the advantage that a BMR is way, way cheaper than the JBL driver. In other words you get the advantages of a single driver speaker without the drawbacks of the ragged FR up top and the lack of deep bass. I don't think the Cambridge Aero design fully exploits this.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

I think the main problem with BMR compared to compression drivers is a lack of efficiency.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I think the main problem with BMR compared to compression drivers is a lack of efficiency.
    And inferior transient response.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Well I decided I couldn't live with them so stuck them on gumtree and got an offer of an exchange within a few fours. I'm now listening to these. Turns out he's got a big room with wooden floors and wide windows whereas my room is carpeted with curtains in a bay. Hopefully we're both better off as a result

https://www.whathifi.com/mordaunt-short/mezzo-6/review

I'm Martin.

I've heard those or maybe the next model up, about ten years ago. Deffo not a warm speaker and a bit lean in the bass IIRC. Clean sounding though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Strange they sound quite mellow in my system, must be the Class D amp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast