+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roon update: lots including Qobuz support

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post

I asked Roon about Spotify and they would love to have it as a service within Roon but Spotify has refused. Takes two to tango.
    Yeah it's strange considering how many other manufacturers/providers that have Spotify integration, I think there's more to the story than Spotify just refusing them

I'm Grant.

to integrate spotty these software operators need the codes, and spotty wont do that with anyone afaik. ..so far but if they start losing their market you never know. Spotty is aimed at casual listeners, mostly on phones etc. Not to Audiophile types.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

When Roon was in their early stage they worked with Spotify for a couple of years to implement Spotify in Roon but then Spotify pulled the plug at the last moment. Difficult to ascertain what the reasons were but I suspect it was due to to different ways the companies respected their user data (judging by hints in the roon forums).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    In what way can they improve the sound quality? What are you comparing it with? Genuinely interested.
    A good question, as on paper all bit perfect “bits are bits” digital,players should sound the same.
    As usual, not quite the case in reality.

Prefer the sound of JRiver here, slightly more open than Roon I feel but Roon sounds way more that ‘good enough’ and the interface is untouchable imo.
    To improve sound quality (if I had a different dac) I’d look at adding HQ Player to Roon...maybe!

Good to see Qobuz integration in addition to Tidal, no Spotify though.
    Getting interested in Qobuz and how it relates to Tidal, might take up the free trial.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    A good question, as on paper all bit perfect “bits are bits” digital,players should sound the same.
    As usual, not quite the case in reality.

Prefer the sound of JRiver here, slightly more open than Roon I feel but Roon sounds way more that ‘good enough’ and the interface is untouchable imo.
    To improve sound quality (if I had a different dac) I’d look at adding HQ Player to Roon...maybe!

Good to see Qobuz integration in addition to Tidal, no Spotify though.
    Getting interested in Qobuz and how it relates to Tidal, might take up the free trial.
    Oh I long ago gave up on the idea that bits are bits. It does come down to what the hardware and software does to the same bits. Things can definitely be different.

Interestingly I also am a JRiver fan and love the way they do things (not their management though) but overall Roon pipped it for me. But I had to take care I was comparing apples with apples. Small things like which driver (eg Asio vs Wasapi) is used can/will make a difference.

Wish that JRiver incorporates Tidal as I may have just stuck with JRiver (I started on ver 11 or something). Sadly JRiver decided not to invest time on Tidal having been burnt by Neil Young's Pano thing. Maybe now that Qobuz has been rolled out in USA JRiver will look at that.

Yes I may also try Qobuz to see what is what.

Did you try out the new Roon Radio? Very interesting. A bit like JRiver's Play Doctor.

E

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

jriver has a radio station, or did. it was free to begin with. i never used it. forgot what they called it. ive bought every issue since way back. just awaiting the release of 25; paid for the upgrade a few weeks ago.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Not had a chance to play with the new Roon Radio Edward, but some time tonight to chill so will see where it takes me!
    Jriver was awesome, really miss Theatre View and wish the Roon screensaver was like that and I’d use the Chromecast display feature to have it up on the big screen.

Ultimately found JRiver’s instability to get in the way of my wish for a “music appliance” that just works, and the Roon ecosystem fills that gap brilliantly.
    Ran JRiver for years and tweaked it out...but it was just too unstable in my setup and didn’t want to have to “talk computer” anymore just to enjoy my music.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Greg.

Briefly tried the new Roon update last night. Didn’t like the new layout in my initial try out, seems complex and fiddly. Need to spend some time getting to understand it again.

Roon Radio was still serving up weird combinations of music as usual. Not sure what the link between Bach Solo Canatas and a Sarah Vaughan Latin pop album are? As long as it stops mixing Tudor choral music with Peter Skellern’s ...Sings Astaire album I’ll call it an improvement! Lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12