+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Hello Oli

Just read your feedback on the unit, thank you for putting your words on the forum appreciate that

I would also agree with you, it is not a sticking plaster for a system that needs to brought back into balance, which I have always suggested it works best on an even handed system.

For you personally I would maybe look at speakers to give a good all round improvement to the system imho.

Will clear up a few points for you chaps, absolutely no concrete are in the RTZ boxes what so ever of ANY description.

The weight of the RTZ1 is 2.7Kg, the material inside is *new* (Clarifying:- the constituent formulation of said material is new, in that it does not appear in any patent search in relation to the effect it generates or any other effect that could be considered to be related to how the box functions. That may or may not exist within the formulated material itself)

The boxes are fabricated in the UK Oli, however I understand your suggestion relating to them.

The binding posts are stripped down, ultrasonically cleaned, the pickled in acid to remove the stock plating, again thoroughly cleaned, then plated with our own material we fabricate the cables from. Cryogenically treated before assembly, then the whole unit is cryo'd after manufacturer, lastly the O.E. BR pads are fitted
    Hi Tony,

I wasn't aware that the posts were stripped and replated.

I think there's a lot of us who aren't "against' your RTZ working but the mystique coupled with the price is going to cause some "curiosity" about VFM. It's up to the prospective customer to decide where that £1k + is best spent. I understand it in Al's system.

I did hear an improvement throughout Alan's system and am happy to defend that position in conversation. I'd like to hear one in my own. I believe Alan is going to bring it over. If it works here, I'll say so.

I'll be auditioning speakers but whether I actually need to make a change remains to be seen.

I'm Rob.

I bought a copper grounding rod years ago from what was then called RATA (Russ Andrews Turntable Accessories) which I never used as I was shit scared of banging it into the ground and bursting a pipe or hitting 240vac. Went to stay with my long term audio lunatic last weekend and we were discussing these grounding boxes. What did he then produce......but his DIY version. Filled with several different kinds of stuff and other bits attached to a 4mm post. I will have to wait to hear from him as to what this does in his system, but I mentioned my copper rod (keep it clean) and my fear of busting something and he said that they can be laid flat.....FLAT! I never knew that.

So over the last couple of days I have been digging a trench, laying a rod with 16mm2 earth cable and inserting through an orifice (I said keep it clean) into my dog kennel.
    Today I wired it in and had a listen. It has been a really busy week physically, lots of walks and cycling, so I was knackered. I just wanted to listen to some choons and chillax, so I had no intention of adopting the "critical listening" mode.

I have read that those boxes seem to tighten and deepen the bass (my mate told me that an earth rod works in the same way) and I think there may be something in that. As I say I was in full relaxed mode, but played a known track and noticed a discordant finger cymbal that I hadn't heard before. It is early days....about 60 mins of air time for the earth rod. Watch this space.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I bought a copper grounding rod years ago from what was then called RATA (Russ Andrews Turntable Accessories) which I never used as I was shit scared of banging it into the ground and bursting a pipe or hitting 240vac. Went to stay with my long term audio lunatic last weekend and we were discussing these grounding boxes. What did he then produce......but his DIY version. Filled with several different kinds of stuff and other bits attached to a 4mm post. I will have to wait to hear from him as to what this does in his system, but I mentioned my copper rod (keep it clean) and my fear of busting something and he said that they can be laid flat.....FLAT! I never knew that.

So over the last couple of days I have been digging a trench, laying a rod with 16mm2 earth cable and inserting through an orifice (I said keep it clean) into my dog kennel.
    Today I wired it in and had a listen. It has been a really busy week physically, lots of walks and cycling, so I was knackered. I just wanted to listen to some choons and chillax, so I had no intention of adopting the "critical listening" mode.

I have read that those boxes seem to tighten and deepen the bass (my mate told me that an earth rod works in the same way) and I think there may be something in that. As I say I was in full relaxed mode, but played a known track and noticed a discordant finger cymbal that I hadn't heard before. It is early days....about 60 mins of air time for the earth rod. Watch this space.
    Hi Rob,

I have not investigated the statements in here yet, but you need to read this http://www.puritanaudiolabs.com/products/ground-master/ download the pdf and have a read the important section states, as quoted below. I came across it when reading another thread about grounding boxes. I can't see a manufacturer of such equipment making up rubbish but you never know.

"Long before the problem of high frequency interference on the Earth Line became as serious as it is today, audiophiles in the know were utilising additional Ground Rods to provide an independent Earth to their HiFi installations.

Elegant as this solution may seem, this is a colossally dangerous practice for the vast majority of current installations*. This is because it risks the potentially massive current from any fault between your HiFi and your local substation finding the easiest path to Earth through your HiFi with expensive, and possibly tragic, results! This is why the practice of introducing directly connected supplementary or dedicated HiFi Ground Rods is specifically prohibited by current UK Wiring Regulations. (Except in very specific circumstances)."

"* For the past 50 years houses have normally been connected using the Protective Multiple Earth (PME) system, whereby the Neutral Line is bonded to Earth at the substation and at other points along the way and with Neutral and Earth circuits separated at the point of entry to the building. This style of installation provides the greatest dangers if using additional ground rods without connecting though the Ground Master whilst other styles of household Earth connection will still benefit greatly with increased safety and performance by using the Ground Master."
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Rob.

Hi Adrian, Thanks for that. I am aware of the 2008 regs regarding the use of grounding rods and that they should not be connected to PE. I am confident that grounding signal earth only is not an infrigement of any regs, nor a safety issue.

I'm Andrew.

Just found this https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/akiko4/ might be of some interest to the discussion, or maybe not!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Just found this https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/akiko4/ might be of some interest to the discussion, or maybe not!
    Interesting. I had assumed that this was an old 6moons review as it was succinct and to the point. I used to like reading 6moons reviews , but lately (IMO of course) they are just drivel and rarely give you any sense of what is being reviewed. I would assume that this unit contains similar to the others doing the rounds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071