+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeken View Post
    Interesting option at a 10th of the price https://theaudiophileman.com/ground-...uritan-review/
    Are there any safety issues with providing a 2nd route to earth? I think that's what the box takes care of or at least I see you don't disconnected the mains earth.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Martin.

http://www.data-connect.com/Patton_570_580.htm

Ive just used one of these to galvanically isolate my hifi network from the modem and in power extenders and the sound quality improvements are significant. Comparable to some of benefits described by people using grounding solutions potentially.

i have essentially eliminated a ground loop in the communication network.

My soundstage is wider, taller and most noticeably much deeper. Music is also more relaxed , open and natural sounding.

I borrowed this from a friend and I grounded the strap to my power hub earth point with 1m of 5 strand solid silver litz that i initially bought for a DIY entreq style ground box.
    Last edited by Discopants; 09-02-2019 at 16:01. Reason: Spellung

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Are there any safety issues with providing a 2nd route to earth? I think that's what the box takes care of or at least I see you don't disconnected the mains earth.
    Yes the box takes care of it, would be dangerous and illegal otherwise, details are in the pdf I linked to
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Pros - 10th of the price
    Cons - you need a garden
    Lol... I've had something similar for YEARS! Old hat, guys... And I've got 5 x 6ft copper earth rods, plunged about 10ft into the ground, but crucially, not vertically, horizontally, to substantially increase surface area [and the effectiveness of the earth], all submerged in conductive concrete!

And yes, it was BIG hole (now long since covered with grass)!!

Marco [when he does a job, he does it right].

P.S Only the lower orders don't have a garden
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Edward.

Did it make an audible difference Sir Marco?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Steve.

I'm guessing that the Puritan box reviewed by Paul Rigby is similar in design and execution to Russ Andrews (Ben Duncan designed) RF Router.

https://www.russandrews.com/the-rf-router-mk-2/#reviews

I purchased one of these a few years ago, when RA first introduced them and installed a chunky 4' copper spike (courtesy of Tool Station) into the ground outside of my house. I purchased some of RA's Kimber woven cable to connect spike through the house wall, to a termination on the inside of my lounge. A further length of RA's woven cable connects to the RF Router (which is essential to stay within the latest IEE regulations) and I have two further cables attached to my hifi system. One length connects to the ground connector on my Aletheia PSU2 (vertex AQ) balanced power supply. The other cable from the RF Router is connected to the ground connector on my Melco server/digital music library.

Over the past couple of days I have experimented connecting the Entreq Silver Tellus ground box (which has been loaned to me), firstly to just the Melco server (with nothing else connected to the Entreq box. I felt that there was a subtle, but not substantial improvement in sound quality.

Next, I connected the Enter Silver Tellus just to the ground connector on the balanced power supply/mains distribution box.

This was a different story and IMHO a retrograde step in system sound quality.

Reconnecting the Aletheia PSU2 ground connector to the Russ Andrews RF Router, restored the system performance.

Tony from Coherent Systems visited today with the CR range of ground connecting cables I had ordered with my purchase of the RTZ3 ground box.

Connecting first the BD cable to the RCA digital output of my CD transport, upped the listening pleasure and this was further enhanced by the other six cables being connected in pairs, firstly the LR vacant XLR analogue outputs on the DAC, followed by the two digital SPDIF inputs to tie these two ground planes together on the DAC.

The final pair of CR cables were connected to a pair of vacant LR inputs on my preamp.

The result - A substantial improvement in imaging, presence, palpability and detail retrieval from the system.
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Did it make an audible difference Sir Marco?
    Lol... Erm, just a tad! Probably one of the single biggest differences I've ever made to my system. It's all about lowering impedance and reducing noise, as far as possible!

The good thing too, is that I can connect and disconnect the dedicated earth, just behind my system, at the point where it meets the CU, so can easily demonstrate the difference it makes to anyone visiting for a music sesh

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... Erm, just a tad! Probably one of the single biggest differences I've ever made to my system. It's all about lowering impedance and reducing noise, as far as possible!

The good thing too, is that I can connect and disconnect the dedicated earth, just behind my system, at the point where it meets the CU, so can easily demonstrate the difference it makes to anyone visiting for a music sesh

Marco.
    Cool. Good to hear.

I'll take your post as an open invite for me to come over and have a listen whilst being fed, watered and sipping your finest claret (grapes grown on the correct side of the river BTW). Lol.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Anytime, old chap. Just let me know when, and I'll have the butler collect you at the station

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... I've had something similar for YEARS! Old hat, guys... And I've got 5 x 6ft copper earth rods, plunged about 10ft into the ground, but crucially, not vertically, horizontally, to substantially increase surface area [and the effectiveness of the earth], all submerged in conductive concrete!

And yes, it was BIG hole (now long since covered with grass)!!

Marco [when he does a job, he does it right].

P.S Only the lower orders don't have a garden
    Surely if they are horizontal or vertical, the surface area will be the same?

P.S. Only the lower orders don’t have a garden - of at least an acre.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast