+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Julian.

Nope, you have to take some proper steps to (as far as possible) remove any expectation bias.

We're all susceptible to it, especially when in the company of enthusiastic users of the product in question, keen to show off their 'new toy' - and I wouldn't want to be paying £800 for *anything*, until I was 110% convinced that any benefit I heard was a) big enough to justify the outlay in the first place, and b) real

Marco.
    Here you go Marco, this is what I am thinking of doing.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/1...x-project.html

I have a 2 bottle wine box so will order a couple of good binding posts £6 approx, order some pure copper plate about £10-12 cut to size, and order some mixed natural ORE ( I am trying to find a source for this). Assemble and connect to the pieces of equipment you want to try it on to spare RCA inputs on the units, the connection is done to the negative only of the RCA plug (this is the outside that usually connected to the screening of a cable).

I take no responsibility for any weirdness that may occur or anyone wiring up cables incorrectly and damaging equipment.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    No conclusion reached, that's why I said 'seem to be needing', just checking
    Good, because you should know me by now!

My personal position is simply that, as with *anything* else in audio, cables, mains filters, stands, grounding boxes or whatever... Nothing gets used in my system unless *I* am 100% convinced it does something positive, which *I* consider as being worthwhile and beneficial.

Other people's testimonies on this device and others like it, whilst interesting to read and something I'd always encourage, mean nothing, in the context of *my* system. That's simply how it is

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Here you go Marco, this is what I am thinking of doing.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/1...x-project.html

I have a 2 bottle wine box so will order a couple of good binding posts £6 approx, order some pure copper plate about £10-12 cut to size, and order some mixed natural ORE ( I am trying to find a source for this). Assemble and connect to the pieces of equipment you want to try it on to spare RCA inputs on the units, the connection is done to the negative only of the RCA plug (this is the outside that usually connected to the screening of a cable).

I take no responsibility for any weirdness that may occur or anyone wiring up cables incorrectly and damaging equipment.
    Nice one, Adrian. I look forward to your write-up of the results. When it's ready, please post it in the DIY section.

Sorry, don't know what you're trying to link to, as all I got was the homepage of some hi-fi site, not to anything specific you're discussing...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Edward.

For all you nay sayers out there all I can say is go and listen to what one can do.

Tony of Coherent Systems graciously responded to my desire to 'hear' one, so I paid him a visit.

They work. Period.

The transformation was astounding, more of everything positive, nothing negative.

More later.
    I paid Tony a visit today, mainly to have a listen to his PWM amps (more on that later in the relevant thread), but also to see/listen for myself what these grounding boxes can do. Essentially there is a step change/improvement in SQ. All what has been said applies - improved ability to 'see' into the music, greater definition, more space around the instruments/voices, widened soundstage. To paraphrase Sugden, the music was rescued.

Tony amply demonstrated the effect by disconnecting all cables from the ground box and, leaving preamp levels unchanged, slowly connected one-by-one the various cables (e.g. from the DAC, preamp etc) back to the grounding box. Each step there was an appreciable improvement to the SQ. My ears did not deceive me and even though there was no blind AB (or ABX) testing I feel I'm sufficiently confident of not letting expectation bias creep in.

I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to explain 'why' it is happening. I'll leave that to others to do. However I feel sure there is some good science underlying it and not simply foo.

Thanks Tony for being so generous with your time.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alan.

Scroll down a bit Marco ....

Scroll down a bit Marco ....
    Ah I see it now... Jeez, after witnessing that eyesore, anyone complaining about ads on here should wash their mouths out!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adrian.

Sorry, don't know what you're trying to link to, as all I got was the homepage of some hi-fi site, not to anything specific you're discussing...

Marco.
    I just tried it and it’s right, if you scroll down you will see pics of the diy grounding box
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

Yeah I know mate, you just have to plough through reams of shite to get there.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm jamie.

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adrian.

Yeah I know mate, you just have to plough through reams of shite to get there.

Marco.
    What on earth are you using, time for a
    bigger screen, or perhaps you need to turn down the zoom or go to spec savers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast