+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    So basicaly what your saying is; the box is attracting random frequencies from the air, and imposing them on the Ground, or 0 volt rail of the equipment its connected to ?
    A bit like how a crystal set works, [basicaly a tuned circuit that plucks frequencies out of the air] and powers a small ear piece, or headphones.
    I am more inclined to think that it is more likely to be equaling the earth or 0 volt potential of each piece of kit that's connected to it.
    Yes I suppose I am.

I don't see how the box can act as an earth as it isn't big enough. Actually now I think about it we already had this discussion the other day...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    And this is the thing; you might not necessarily know if something is added or taken away within the signal, as demonstrated by Macca's link, unless it is truly detrimental to the sound and bloody obvious
    Agreed. For e.g vinyl adds quite a lot of things that are not supposed to be there but it either doesn't add enough of them to be a real issue or the things it adds are actually perceived as positives due to psychoacoustics.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks for that, so what exactly are these "pollutants", what generates them, and how, in your opinion, does this grounding box help eliminate them?
    All these 'grounding boxes' have a connection point, or points, in common, being the Ground Plane / Zero Volt rail / Signal earth or whatever you like to refer to it as.
    Just because a large fill of copper on a pcb, for instance, is put there to act as the reference for signals and supply rails and is often referred to as the zero volt rail / plane, doesn't mean there are no currents (signals/pollutants) flowing in/across it.

One can surmise that these pollutants can come from many sources as we are talking about low levels. If the levels were high then I suggest they would be heard as hum or noise or smearing of the sound at normal listening levels.

These pollutants probably include clock or switching noise in digital equipment, residual power supply noise, protective earth conducted noise and a wide range of radio frequency interference in all equipment.

The big question for everyone is how is all this crud 'attracted' to a grounding box. I'm sorry to say but I don't have an explanation, but given the wide bandwidth I know that the materials used are very important.

If and when I can come up with a scientific explanation I will share it on here.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

So its affectively a bandpass filter, attracting specific groups of frequencies [noise] out of the 0 volt line, or groundplane of each piece of equipment, and then doing what with them ? releasing them into the air ??? or absorbing them within the secret mix of materials in the box ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    All these 'grounding boxes' have a connection point, or points, in common, being the Ground Plane / Zero Volt rail / Signal earth or whatever you like to refer to it as.
    Just because a large fill of copper on a pcb, for instance, is put there to act as the reference for signals and supply rails and is often referred to as the zero volt rail / plane, doesn't mean there are no currents (signals/pollutants) flowing in/across it.

One can surmise that these pollutants can come from many sources as we are talking about low levels. If the levels were high then I suggest they would be heard as hum or noise or smearing of the sound at normal listening levels.

These pollutants probably include clock or switching noise in digital equipment, residual power supply noise, protective earth conducted noise and a wide range of radio frequency interference in all equipment.

The big question for everyone is how is all this crud 'attracted' to a grounding box. I'm sorry to say but I don't have an explanation, but given the wide bandwidth I know that the materials used are very important.

If and when I can come up with a scientific explanation I will share it on here.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    And this is the thing; you might not necessarily know if something is added or taken away within the signal, as demonstrated by Macca's link, unless it is truly detrimental to the sound and bloody obvious
    Trust me, if it has an insidiously negative effect on the music [and that doesn't mean an immediately noticeable detrimental one], and your ears are any good, it'll creep up on you through time and become obvious... Usually when you find yourself not listening to or enjoying music, as much as before the 'box' (or whatever) went in.

It's very easy, on first listening of anything you're told, or expect to give an improvement, to believe that's the case when you hear it [expectation bias]. That's why the *only* subjective way of properly assessing for these things is to install it and live with it for two weeks, or so, and get used to what it does in your system, musically.

Then take it out, and with a familiar piece of music, listen again and decide if what you're hearing at that point is better or worse. If something is producing a *genuine* (not imagined) beneficial effect, it will usually pass that crucial test

That's what I do with all these types of things, and cables.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    So its affectively a bandpass filter, attracting specific groups of frequencies [noise] out of the 0 volt line, or groundplane of each piece of equipment, and then doing what with them ? releasing them into the air ??? or absorbing them within the secret mix of materials in the box ?
    Probably the latter, but as I say I don't know.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    First Grounding Box virgin visits me next week.
    Be interesting to hear his thoughts
    Indeed, but for curiosity purposes only. What could it possibly prove, or would one be able to learn, other than the grounding box in question (arguably) works in your system? It won't prove that it's going to work in his, as the operating conditions will be different...

Is this chap near you, and if so, is there a possibility of taking the box round to his place, and installing it in his system afterwards, and having another listen there? That would make for a far more interesting [and valid] write-up

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Thinking about it in a different way; if it works by frequency selection, then it could easily also be working as a frequency transmitter, which picks up RFI from the air [by acting as an aerial] and imposing those frequencies on the 0 volt line, causing some form of crude nulling of other frequencies present on the 0 volt line ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Probably the latter, but as I say I don't know.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm julian.

If you actually read the review - link posted in post 269 - it does mention converting the 'noise' into heat
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Trust me, if it has an insidiously negative effect on the music [and that doesn't mean an immediately noticeable detrimental one], and your ears are any good, it'll creep up on you through time and become obvious... Usually when you find yourself not listening to or enjoying music, as much as before the 'box' (or whatever) went in.

It's very easy, on first listening of anything you're told, or expect to give an improvement, to believe that's the case when you hear it [expectation bias]. That's why the *only* subjective way of properly assessing for these things is to install it and live with it for two weeks, or so, and get used to what it does in your system, musically.

Then take it out, and with a familiar piece of music, listen again and decide if what you're hearing at that point is better or worse. If something is producing a *genuine* (not imagined) beneficial effect, it will usually pass that crucial test

That's what I do with all these types of things, and cables.

Marco.
    What I'm saying is that if whatever it is that has been added is not unpleasant to the ear or below or above your hearing ability, then chances are you'll not know it's been added.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast