+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    It has everything that is typical hifi fare; an outlandish product (on the face of it), factions for and against, opinions, angry retorts.

If an £800 box of crystals works for you, go for it. It doesn't hurt anyone else. Just as long as prospective buyers can trial this equipment without fear of spunking a lot of money that'll do nothing for them.
    No idea, as the product in question is of no interest to me. Best ask Tony. However, that aside, glad you're enjoying the entertainment, as we aim to please!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Glad to say I do.
    If you don't then you are stuck
    Perhaps an insert? Some fitting between the cable and the jack, with the ground wire attached? So it could be applied to a jack that’s in use.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I have no dog in this particular race, but the above simply isn't true, certainly in my position (where with the upstairs/downstairs system thing going on, it's very easy to accurately blind-test anything), or in the position of others I know, who've been equally as thorough with their testing, and subsequently concluded that "fancy mains cables" almost certainly *do* make a difference!

Marco.
    A high end power cable compared to a stock power cable can make a noticeable difference. But what about a $500 cable compared to a $1500 cable? Will the difference be so pronounced then? So that anyone could tell them apart? The laws of diminishing returns may come into play?

Russell

I'm Grant.

The thing that gets me re these cables or other such is claims that you need a high resolving system to notice the improvements.
    To me that's a cop out
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    A high end power cable compared to a stock power cable can make a noticeable difference. But what about a $500 cable compared to a $1500 cable? Will the difference be so pronounced then? So that anyone could tell them apart? The laws of diminishing returns may come into play?
    Most definitely, Russell, as the biggest difference will come from initially upgrading from a cheap, mass-produced 'kettle lead', which simply hasn't been designed for hi-fi purposes, to something that has, and which is available from the likes of Belden, for about £40!

This seller supplies the same mains cable, fitted with an IEC plug, but only appears to have fig 8 currently listed: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fig-8-Bel...frcectupt=true

And that's as 'fancy' as it needs to get!

I use those cables virtually throughout my downstairs music/AV system, and they're superb. I have the fig 8 version on my Virgin V6 TV box. No need to spend 'silly money'. The important thing is using good quality, high-gauge shielded cable, which combined with quality plugs, is competently assembled, using best electrical practice. There is no 'magic' involved!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The thing that gets me re these cables or other such is claims that you need a high resolving system to notice the improvements.
    To me that's a cop out
    Indeed it is. I can hear the difference (improvement) just as much on my downstairs, circa £3k (excluding TV) music/AV system, as I can on my main rig upstairs costing well in excess of ten times that.

It's not about "high resolving" or cost, but simply having a system that's well-matched [from source to speakers] and properly set up, to allow such differences to shine. If all you've done is thrown together a random selection of boxes and speakers, and taken little or no care in setting it all up, then don't expect to hear differences with mains leads, or many other things for that matter!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Most definitely, Russell, as the biggest difference will come from initially upgrading from a cheap, mass-produced 'kettle lead', which simply hasn't been designed for hi-fi purposes, to something that has, and which is available from the likes of Belden, for about £40!

This seller supplies the same mains cable, fitted with an IEC plug, but only appears to have fig 8 currently listed: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fig-8-Bel...frcectupt=true

And that's as 'fancy' as it needs to get!

I use those cables virtually throughout my downstairs music/AV system, and they're superb. I have the fig 8 version on my Virgin V6 TV box. No need to spend 'silly money'. The important thing is using good quality, high-gauge shielded cable, which combined with quality plugs, is competently assembled, using best electrical practice. There is no 'magic' involved!

Marco.
    That’s very much like my experience. I made a power cable for my preamp, I purchased some nicer parts from eBay, and assembled it myself for about $55. When I installed it, (I already have a nicer power cord on the amp), I wasn’t immediately convinced there was a difference. So I left it in for a few days, and when I removed it, I heard the difference. After restoring it I again heard the difference. Was it better? Yes! Was it night and day, make or break? No, it was just noticeable. But that’s how tweaks work, the small improvements add up.

Several months ago, my son in law loaned me a $500 PS Audio power cord. I swapped it into the same place, and can’t say I noticed any difference. After a few days I put the home made one back, and I do believe it sounded better, at least to my ears. But these differences were very slight, I could easily live with either one. And honestly I didn’t hate the sound before I tried the $55 cord, so while I like it, and think it makes a difference, if I had never tried it, I’d be just as happy in the long run.

Russell

I'm Robin.

Still don’t understand how you can comment on stuff you haven’t heard in your own system. Otherwise it’s just hot air. I might try a grounding box one day, meanwhile I’m enjoying a Chord Sarum T mains cable on the CD player.......
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    great entertainment, probably more so than the grounding boxy thingy itself!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Have you tried it? What difference does a box with binding posts make?
    Might try that
    Do I need witnesses ?

The binding posts allow an extra cable with a spade to be connected to the one grounding box.
    What for ?
    In case not clear from before the sound quality improves the more cables you have connected.
    My ears heard the improvement. My brain struggled to believe what I was hearing
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast