+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalboon View Post
    I have just had a quick read and this didn’t explain much. In fact there are some technically inaccurate statements in it, I’ll let them slide as it does say it has been written for people with little or no background knowledge.

This is quickly approaching the realms of “hyperbole”!
    Feel free to enlighten us!

Based on the fact there is little known about this type of item, I thought it was worth a share.

Sorry to disappoint!!

I'm malcolm.

One man's take on it

https://youtu.be/zgqYdq0VgKg
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    One man's take on it

https://youtu.be/zgqYdq0VgKg
    He'll come around, when he figures out how to make one and bring it to market under the PS Audio name!
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    He'll come around, when he figures out how to make one and bring it to market under the PS Audio name!
    Hahaha
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Feel free to enlighten us!

Based on the fact there is little known about this type of item, I thought it was worth a share.

Sorry to disappoint!!
    “For safety reasons, any electrical device in a conductive (metal) casing must legally have an earth connection. Most audio components have metal housings that must be earthed - the exact same earth connection as those noisy domestic devices are connected to.”

Class II equipment that doesn’t require a mains earth connection can be housed in a metal case/housing/enclosure.

“One of the laws of electronics is that electrical current (like water) will always take the easiest path down into the earth.”

Electrical current will flow through various paths in inverse proportion to its resistance.

Bigman80 Guest

“For safety reasons, any electrical device in a conductive (metal) casing must legally have an earth connection. Most audio components have metal housings that must be earthed - the exact same earth connection as those noisy domestic devices are connected to.”

Class II equipment that doesn’t require a mains earth connection can be housed in a metal case/housing/enclosure.

“One of the laws of electronics is that electrical current (like water) will always take the easiest path down into the earth.”

Electrical current will flow through various paths in inverse proportion to its resistance.
    Ok, so what are you highlighting?

The class II Bit?

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ok, so what are you highlighting?

The class II Bit?
    Both sections in the quotation marks.

I'm Steve.

Jason

With respect, I think you're missing the point of grounding boxes!

They do not connect a piece of equipment to the mains protective earth. The boxes are passive, in that they do not plug into the wall.

The grounding cables are only connected to the outer ground (in the case of an RCA phono) and the centre pin is just there to aid the connection. The cables "drain" RFI/EMI/spurious high frequency currents from the ground plane of the circuit boards and these are dealt with (don't know how) in the box and dissipated as heat!

I am a layman, so if anyone technical can explain it better, please chip in!
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

Bigman80 Guest

Jason

They do not connect a piece of equipment to the mains protective earth. The boxes are passive, in that they do not plug into the wall.

The grounding cables are only connected to the outer ground (in the case of an RCA phono) and the centre pin is just there to aid the connection. The cables "drain" RFI/EMI/spurious high frequency currents from the ground plane of the circuit boards and these are dealt with (don't know how) in the box and dissipated as heat!

Hence my confusion

I'm Jason.

Jason

I am not missing the point, I pointed out some inaccuracies in the CAD link. Some ground boxes are designed to connect to mains earth, the RTZ is not one of these designs.

I cannot work out how these grounding boxes work as it is just a single conductor (apparently if multiple cables are used they are still separate as they have no shared connection internally). If they are used to drain these “RFI/EMI/spurious high frequency currents” then surely there should be a return path?

As we have some EE’s & HiFi designers/manufacturers here perhaps they could point out other uses where just a single conductor is used in isolation in electrical/electronic design.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast