+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post

I'll expand, the signal to noise ration of a top notch CD player really is so close to 96dB, by the test results the resultant conclusion would indicate the SQ of the system it was plugged into would drop below cassette tape playback capability
    ?
    That’s not really a valid comparison. If you look at the measurement figures, you’ll see that the 40dB increase in noise took the figure from -150dB up to -110dB. These are not levels of noise that you hear in the same way as cassette hiss, but it will still potentially alter the sound.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    That’s not really a valid comparison. If you look at the measurement figures, you’ll see that the 40dB increase in noise took the figure from -150dB up to -110dB. These are not levels of noise that you hear in the same way as cassette hiss, but it will still potentially alter the sound.
    Morning Adam

I must admit I didn't really have a close look at the graph that was cited so my error there.

Human hearing has a dynamic range of around 140dB (though that does vary according to frequencies) so I would suggest that yes, it would be more than perceivable to most individual's hearing to that amount of 'induced noise' What is seen on the AP graph is pretty substantial (Though not connected to an audio system) and no one would wish to purposefully place that amount of noise into any audio system.

Perfectly logical rational behind the length of the cables and pick ability of said 'aerial' though if you inspect the leads that entreq use they are rather basic in terms of various rudiments of cable manufacturer imo. This in itself will not be solely responsible for the result I would suspect but it sure isn't going to help!

While were are on the subject of human hearing although we have a so called 20hz<>20Khz range (hence the Nyquest theorem in the red-book standard, which was 22.05Khz (half the 44.1Khz frequency range) the brick wall filter emerged early on 20-20Khz.

However we may not be able to physically 'hear' above those frequencies and lower as we get older, I am 52 and have me hearing checked every three months by a qualified audiologist (not spec savers lol) luckily I still have just on 15Khz available out of the 20Khz.

However we can perceive frequencies at a higher rate, although we may not actually 'hear' them yet we sense them. Many musical instruments have bandwidths which far exceed the 3rd harmonic. If these were recorded with a flat 20Khz microphone they genuinely would not sound as they we would normally associated. Recording studio's uses microphones which capture far higher frequencies to enable realistic presentation after being squeezed into red book format.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    However we can perceive frequencies at a higher rate, although we may not actually 'hear' them yet we sense them. Many musical instruments have bandwidths which far exceed the 3rd harmonic. If these were recorded with a flat 20Khz microphone they genuinely would not sound as they we would normally associated. Recording studio's uses microphones which capture far higher frequencies to enable realistic presentation after being squeezed into red book format.
    To my knowledge there is no evidence that we hear above 22Khz, I'd be interested in anything you can reference that documents that we can. Nothing recorded prior to about 2000 uses a mic that can capture over 22khz. Most mics in use now do not do that either.

All the great recordings in rock, pop. classical and jazz were made with recording equipment that struggled to capture 20Khz. Are we now saying that they do not portray instruments realistically?

Added to that, even with higher bandwidth mics available, many artists and producers favour vintage mics that again, cannot record frequencies over that level. You're really on a hiding to nothing with that line of argument Tony. It has zero credibility.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

No to mention all the speakers that do not have any response over 22KHz. QUAD ESL? Tannoy DC...?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

One of the most well known Mic's in the business! https://en-de.neumann.com/u-87-ai#technical-data
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nothing recorded prior to about 2000 uses a mic that can capture over 22khz.
    Check out the response of some of the old ribbon mics. Not so sure about any accompanying pre-amp/amp circuitry though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Check out the response of some of the old ribbon mics. Not so sure about any accompanying pre-amp/amp circuitry though.
    or the tape machines....
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    or the tape machines....
    Some of those claimed responses up to 30 or 40 kHz. Dunno at what level limits though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

Even with 30kHz to 40kHz.....the numbers sound big but we're only talking about half to one octave higher than 20kHz.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    One of the most well known Mic's in the business! https://en-de.neumann.com/u-87-ai#technical-data
    And what's it powered by? Lovely glowing bottles [or at least the originals were] - best technology ever invented!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast