+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Smell is one of the senses, though. Are we talking about some sort of 'sixth sense', like what enables you to talk to dead people?
    Let's not close our minds. The modern world makes us think in clinical or scientific ways. In much earlier times we might easily have been able to use parts of our brains are which are mostly unused today...hence perception. Eg maybe telepathy was practiced. It could be that some of us are influenced by senses that the scientists amongst us don't understand. Do some people have a 6th sense? Can you really say not?
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Bigman80 Guest

If you'd like to indulge in the oddity of Grounding Boxes. Heres the stuff the Japanese think should go in:

Bigman80 Guest

Could be the Chinese. I'm drugged up again

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    Quite where you would fit a fuse of any kind in a grounding cable which is terminated on the box end by either a spade or banana and on the equipment end with an RCA phono plug, BNC, XLR, USB or RJ45 connector, is beyond me!

Remember too, that the terminations at the equipment end are only connected to ground!

Just thought I would mention this as it doesn't appear as though you have been following the discussion closely!
    My comment about the fuses was a bit tongue in cheek....
    The terminations at the equipment end are only connected to ground?
    Which ground? The main electrical ground in your house or the common ground plane created by the box?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Let's not close our minds. The modern world makes us think in clinical or scientific ways. In much earlier times we might easily have been able to use parts of our brains are which are mostly unused today...hence perception. Eg maybe telepathy was practiced. It could be that some of us are influenced by senses that the scientists amongst us don't understand. Do some people have a 6th sense? Can you really say not?
    Personally I am not closing my mind to what a grounding box may or may not achieve, I am plannng to try and make ne and see if there is any difference to the sound.

As for the arguments relating to perceived sound above 20khz that we do not hear in the aural sense, then I am open to someone showing me tests and measurements that it occurs and our brains actually do physically receive ultra sound which affect how we perceive music. I and others on here are probably not in the position to spend large amounts of money on high end high costing equipment to conduct an experiment to determinine if it what is claimed is true, especially when we cannot physically see or hear the result, hence cautious n rather than dis-belief.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Not having a closed mind means doing research and experimentation to see if the claims hold up as opposed to dismissing them out of hand. It doesn't mean just accepting them as fact because no-one has demonstrated they are not true.

It does seem that despite the painstaking R&D that has gone into this product not even a basic measurement of its effectiveness in reducing the noise floor has been made. Those two things don't sit well together.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not having a closed mind means doing research and experimentation to see if the claims hold up as opposed to dismissing them out of hand. It doesn't mean just accepting them as fact because no-one has demonstrated they are not true.
    Indeed, and neither does it mean just accepting that such claims aren't true, because currently there is no scientific explanation for them!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Hopefully the open minds here (not hear...) have read the scientific paper linked to previously. It doesn't give a nice understandable graph proving anything in the audio realm but it does give us a strong pointer that frequencies above 20kHz produce some form of response. The paper is not the sort of science I find easy to follow but the conclusion is relatively straighforward:

In conclusion, our findings that showed an increase in alphaEEG potentials, activation of deep-seated brain structures, a correlation between alpha-EEG and rCBF in the thalamus, and a subjective preference toward FRS, give strong evidence supporting the existence of a previously unrecognized response to high-frequency sound beyond the audible range that might be distinct from more usual auditory phenomena. Additional support for this hypothesis could come from future noninvasive measurements of the biochemical markers in the brain such asmonoamines or opioid peptides.

To get back onto grounding boxes....

3 or 4 years ago Robert Bastani (Bastanis Speakers) sent me a passive mains gizmo (I can't call it a device). He refuses to tell me what's in it but does say the mains connection isn't broken. I know that he is into crystals and uses them in his cone treatments. I've a very strong idea that the inline mains gizmo has some crystals inside it. This gizmo makes a very noticeable positive
    impact on the sound of my system and other systems I've tried it in. The gizmo is used infront of the mains for my entire system. This is not a grounding box as in a line level but it might be called a grounding box for mains power Here it is:

mains by Clive M, on Flickr.

I can understand reticence to believe this stuff (ie grounding boxes) and as for myself they fall into the realm of bloody frustrating as I'd rather not have to mess with these things which do seem like voodoo but certainly in the case of the Bastani gizmo...it works.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm joe.

I can say that, despite research over many decades, no proof, or even evidence of a sixth sense has emerged. Plenty of anecdotal reports, but nothing that has withstood rigorous testing in laboratory conditions. 'Believers' will say that this is because such powers are impaired by the 'stress' of test situations. Curiously, the same claim is made of perceived/claimed differences between audio components such as cables, which cannot be verified under blind testing.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I can say that, despite research over many decades, no proof, or even evidence of a sixth sense has emerged. Plenty of anecdotal reports, but nothing that has withstood rigorous testing in laboratory conditions. 'Believers' will say that this is because such powers are impaired by the 'stress' of test situations. Curiously, the same claim is made of perceived/claimed differences between audio components such as cables, which cannot be verified under blind testing.
    This all came out of it being said to be impossible to sense or perceive frequencies above 20kHz - 6th sense was purely my way of trying to find some way to describe it. Hopefully given the paper discussed in this thread there's at least some questioning in your mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast