+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Without hearing the effect of these boxes, I have to say that the price for me is off putting.
    £2800 for a box, and around £600 a cable. That is more than the majority of my boxes with electronics in the cost.

Sure I understand that he has to make money. It just won’t be mine....

I think the wife would divorce me if I bought a £2800 box and 5 cables at £600 a pop. Almost £6k for an improvement is sound quality? It would have to be massive to warrant that kind of expenditure.
    Kevin

The £2800 RTZ3 is the top of the range Coherent grounding box and can accept a total of eighteen cables.

This particular box is of interest to me and others who own systems with a large number of vacant connections (BNC, RCA, XLR, USB etc).

Believe me, there are a phenomenal amount of vacant connections on a four box dCS Vivaldi digital system that would benefit from having pairs of ground planes tied together.

Thos who own simpler systems, with say a streamer or CD player/DAC and an integrated amp, will likely choose a smaller RTZ box (£800 for six connections and £1600 for ten connections) The cables also start at £250, so no need to pitch in at the CR level (£600).

Tony has a clear upgrade path with generous trade-in for those seeking to upgrade at a later date.

I don't know.nor do I care whats in the box, or how it works. My ears tell me that there is a substantial improvement in sound quality.

Those who have posted that small "cottage industries" like Tony's, need to make a profit to survive and flourish are correct.

Coherent RTZ products are hand-fabricated and this takes a lot of time and effort, never mind the research and testing that goes to develop and bring a product to market.

The fit and finish of both boxes and cables are of a very high standard.
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Kevin.

As long as you are happy, that is all that counts in my book.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

So, objective think supplied here.

Tonys top box and cable would set me back £3k (FAS).

Judging the performance of my own system, and where I judiciously think improvements could be made.

Would I see a greater improvement in performance from

A) The TOTL grounding box

Or

B) A set of Quadral speakers (£3k worth)

I would bet heavily that the greater improvement would come from the speakers. However, if you are at that point already, I can see how buying a Grounding Box to improve things further would start to appeal.

I think the price is relative to your ability to spend at that level. Unfortunately a lot of us will be priced out of this market but that's just how it is.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of us will be priced out of this market but that's just how it is.
    So you have the option of doing a home brew version or trying the Signal Ground Solutions boxes which start at £285.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    So you have the option of doing a home brew version or trying the Signal Ground Solutions boxes which start at £285.
    Yup. Looks like that's what's left for us mortals lool

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Unlike the other grounding boxes that are on the market these use no minerals what so ever or pizeobelectro materials or tormalene etc, no bus bars either.
    Well, looks like we have slightly more to go on now. So it doesn’t follow the same path as Entreq’s products which appear to be filled with a mineral substance. You mention bus bars, I am assuming that your stating that the “grounding points” on your box are not connected/referenced to each other internally? Your product description states this;

“We advise strongly against connecting both signal ground of an audio component and mains earth together using the same Ground Control device would be to suggest against this directly connecting signal ground to earth could produce an increase in the very noise results you are trying to counteract. Our customer feedback has given mixed results on this method, as some equipment is manufactured with different philosophies regarding earthing and grounding techniques”

Would this be caused by a ground loop? If so, how? Surely this means that the grounding points on the RTZ box are connected/referenced internally?

So that leaves us with a passive box, which depending on the construction of the Hifi equipment it is connected to, may or may not be connected to mains earth via the “grounding cables”. I really am scratching my head as to how this would work. The description on your website states that signal grounding requires an extremely low impedance, how does a passive box connected by a single wire even achieve this?

It also goes on to say this...

“Drawing from our digital system integrations and aerospace backgrounds where electrical noise is sensitive to measuring and test equipment, these areas are actively and rigorously controlled to ensure accurate operation and correct measurement data integrity.”

With this background (plus the fact you are designing your own Class D amplifier) I’m sure you would be able to provide some measurements to back up some of the claims that the addition of your RTZ box provides.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think it's what you do when you are in the enviable position where you have run out of hi-fi equipment to buy before you have run out of money to spend on it. For 99.9 % of us it's the other way round.
    aint that so!

I'm Martin.

Ive been following these grounding box threads with interest, saw some reviews on the entreq box months ago and it piqued my interest. Lots of positive reviews out there but also some that didnt notice any real gains like Steve here. I did buy a cigar box and a few other pieces a while back but i never got the minerals

Then there is this RTZ device which is targetting the same issues via different unknown mechanism with some very happy customers.

It should be noted that there are other options also out there as well as the nordost offering already mentioned. There is a company ive been reading review of on the audigon forum called perect path technologies that have 3 passive products that also target noise floor and getting rave reviews from many members over there.

Im convinced there is something in this but i need to rest my wallet for a bit after updating speakers, amp and subwoofer in the last 3 months. Then its working out the better options to try for your own system (im fully digital including the amp here) Interesting stuff though. Will continue to follow with keen interest.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    Hmmm!

Interesting!

Everything that the grounding box brings to the table has disappeared (to be expected) but I can clearly hear French trawler men talking on their radios!

Another fine theory bites the dust.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Alan.

What fine theory?

All you are doing by just having the cables connected (without the box) is providing an aerial to pick up transmissions.
    The length of cable is what will determine the most likely pick-up, in this case the marine band.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast