+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Very well written article, explaining the theory behind why these ground boxes are needed.

I was put off the author by the inclusion of 'pace rhythm and timing' as that expression is one of my bete noire's, but that is a different discussion.

Apart from saying the RF energy is converted to heat it doesn't really say how they work though.
    Yes the article is good. The CAD grounding boxes are extraordinary in the effect they have, and their DAC is one of the finest I have heard so the designer clearly knows what he is doing. The fact he is an electronics engineer by training and trade would indicate that too. And the point he makes about the difference between using the box for grounding the signal ground or the mains Earth is important as to do both you need a box for each. I messed around with some of the CAD GC boxes and I definitely get separate improvements for attaching a box to the CD player's spare RCA input, and a further box to the mains earth via the earth connection on the distribution block. But if you try and do both on the one grounding box (signal ground and mains earth) the effect is negated, and the sound is actually worse. The article explains why that happens which is interesting.

The effect on the music for the signal ground using a CAD GC1 I found as providing more coherence and space to the music, more depth. Adding a second GC1 and daisy chaining it made this even more effective.

Adding a GC3 to the mains earth connection on the distribution block and attaching a cable each to the case of the amp and CD player was different: this improved what I would define as the structure of the music, the timing of it. It was interesting how the effect was so different to the signal grounding, but equally impressive.

But as mentioned, running signal and mains earth grounding through the same box didn’t work.

For those of you with a grounding box I’d say it is worth demoing the CAD method of using a second separate one on the mains earth via a link to the earth socket on a distribution box. If there is no earth socket on that device, or you plug your components directly into the wall, CAD actually make a cable with a plug on one end which is designed to run from an unused electrical socket next to one you use for your devices. I guess the plug only connects to the grounding pin. Before I got a distribution box this was how I demoed the GC3 linking to mains earth, and the effects were as substantial as using the input on the distribution block.
    Last edited by Duckworp; 09-02-2019 at 11:12.

I'm malcolm.

Audiophile Tosher

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    An interesting review.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Yes an interesting read for sure.

And he awards it 10 out of 10! That’s some pretty high praise.

So, after being beat over the head with the idea that 24 bit recordings cannot make a difference, no human can hear the high frequencies, etc, etc, (ad nasium), now we are being told that noise in the megahertz (and even gigahertz) is being heard from all sources?

Personally I don’t doubt it, but we can’t have it both ways, we can’t say humans can’t hear the improvements at 24K but we can hear a difference at 1M, one side or the other must concede.

My cable TV and internet run in the same wire, and one has no effect on the other. Turning off the internet does not improve picture quality. So, how are frequencies in the megahertz having an effect on frequencies from 20 to 20KHz.?

We live in a sea of high frequency noise, so many radio signals all around us at all times, from old AM stations to cell phones and remote control devices, surely the conductive parts of our own bodies are humming with noise at these frequencies, how is it possible to drain them off? If we hold onto a ground wire while listening will it improve SQ?

I have no doubt these things work, but how they work I do not believe is fully understood, there has to be more going on here than draining ultra high frequencies. These high frequencies are 50 times higher than the audio band, their lowest point is a mile away from the highest frequency we are concerned with, so how are they messing up these much, much lower frequencies? Our speakers cannot even respond to frequencies higher than 22KHz, so how is it reaching our ears? There has to be more to it than they are offering.

Russell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Yes an interesting read for sure.

And he awards it 10 out of 10! That’s some pretty high praise.

So, after being beat over the head with the idea that 24 bit recordings cannot make a difference, no human can hear the high frequencies, etc, etc, (ad nasium), now we are being told that noise in the megahertz (and even gigahertz) is being heard from all sources?

Personally I don’t doubt it, but we can’t have it both ways, we can’t say humans can’t hear the improvements at 24K but we can hear a difference at 1M, one side or the other must concede.
    ll
    No, I think that the way they manifest themselves is in intermodulation distortion. Obviously we can't hear 5 Megahz. That would be an uncomfortable world.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    An interesting review.
    Interesting option at a 10th of the price https://theaudiophileman.com/ground-...uritan-review/

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeken View Post
    Interesting option at a 10th of the price https://theaudiophileman.com/ground-...uritan-review/
    Pros - 10th of the price
    Cons - you need a garden
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

and be prepared to run a cable all the way to it... not many would im guessing
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Would not seem to be the same thing as the boxes anyway since even PR says the effect was subtle whereas testimony for the boxes says it is obvious.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeken View Post
    http://www.puritanaudiolabs.com/wp-c...Master-PDF.pdf
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast