+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    It's about sensing it. 45kHz when it's a harmonic of a note we can hear may well be perceived in some way....I don't know for sure but I'm not ruling it out.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    It's about sensing it. Can you define how you perceive 8Hz? I don't find it because my trousers are flapping. I may well be sensing pressure changes but that's only my supposition. 45kHz when it's a harmonic of a note we can hear may well be perceived in some way....I don't know for sure but I'm not ruling it out.
    Not much in the Audio literature but quite a lot about ultrasonic perception in humans in the medical one.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Martin

My credibility is just fine thank you.

I suspect you did not read the post clearly, what I said was 'perceived' not heard extra harmonic structures in reproduced music.
    A great many speakers have bandwidth going way beyond 22Khz and more:- Focal (40Khz), Magico (50Khz), Sonus Faber (35Khz) YG (40Khz +), Quadral (65Khz),Verity audio (60Khz) Tad (100Khz) Rock-port technologies (35Khz), Audio Nec (45Khz), Wilson audio (35Khz) etc.

Those guys that use super-tweeters do not just 'perceive' extended upper frequencies, they also gain improved bottom end depth and details coupled with a more smoother and open mid ban presence. Even the beloved Tannoy's have they own version which has a 62Khz bandwidth going up to a 'Usable 100Khz' So is that a sales gimmick on their behalf?

Product information"

With regard to microphones, yes they are many very highly respected 20Khz phone's agree 100%, we actually use one of those mentioned in of the studio's, however we also use Sanken and Earthworks models which have 40Khz and 100khz bandwidths. Depending on what you are recording, female vocals, classical ensemble, folk, Rock or metal, each genre requires a different approach.

Interestingly we have one of these new mike designs on order, has been creating a lot of buzz in the pro industry for its superb handing of the whole soundscape.

Ehrlund EHR-M

Good to see lively debate again!
    I think you need to read this https://courses.lumenlearning.com/bo...ity-and-level/

I worked in a sound and vibration lab and we would test for all sorts of sound emitting objects, including ships horns, loudspeakers, objects in industrial environments causing hi levels of noise and high frequency (ultrasound), low levels of vibration on building sites(infrasound) and so on. We also had a very rigorous environment and tests for humans. Human beings are physically unable to hear/perceive anything beyond 22khz max (and actually anything much above 18khz is a rarity). So unless you are morphing into a bat forget it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Peter.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I think you need to read this https://courses.lumenlearning.com/bo...ity-and-level/

I worked in a sound and vibration lab and we would test for all sorts of sound emitting objects, including ships horns, loudspeakers, objects in industrial environments causing hi levels of noise and high frequency (ultrasound), low levels of vibration on building sites(infrasound) and so on. We also had a very rigorous environment and tests for humans. Human beings are physically unable to hear/perceive anything beyond 22khz max (and actually anything much above 18khz is a rarity). So unless you are morphing into a bat forget it.
    My daughter is an audiologist. Apparently bone conduction happens up to 50khz. And this can bypass the middle ear and hit the inner ear. So although you cannot hear frequencies above 20khz (limited by the middle ear) via air conduction, it is conceivable that the brain perceives, though not through ‘hearing’, frequencies above 20khz. This would perhaps help to explain why super tweeters make a difference to the sound?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckworp View Post
    My daughter is an audiologist. Apparently bone conduction happens up to 50khz. And this can bypass the middle ear and hit the inner ear. So although you cannot hear frequencies above 20khz (limited by the middle ear) via air conduction, it is conceivable that the brain perceives, though not through ‘hearing’, frequencies above 20khz. This would perhaps help to explain why super tweeters make a difference to the sound?
    If that is so then wouldn't the SPL of the high frequencies have to be pretty high for it to penetrate any soft tissue in its path? Have they done tests to show this?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

My speakers go right down to zero hertz. In fact they are delivering 0Hz right at this minute.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My speakers go right down to zero hertz. In fact they are delivering 0Hz right at this minute.
    Your brain goes down to zero hertz, not sure about your woofers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

This is good stuff gents keep it coming

Now someone mentioned infrasonic, which are sound waves below 20Hz, these have a seriously long wave length to fully form (20hz is pretty close on 18m not sure many of us have rooms that long ), you would 'feel' these as opposed to hearing them.

A few years ago now I was have a tour around Cabasse's facility in Brittany, particularly the anechoic chamber by Bernard De Bail (sure that was his name!) their chief designer the we were discussing sample rates and frequency response of a project they were working at the point in time.
    Anyway the upshot was he demonstrated a 16hz waveform in there, that caused your chest to behave in a very strange manner shall we say, the SPL on your body was pretty intense and boy you were really feeling it. NOT hearing it

May be of interest.

Further reading

A drop more

Real world instrument frequency measurements
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Martin.

I don't see what all the 'we actually hear like bats...maybe -' has to do with the grounding boxes anyway. Not discussing it anymore. I'm waiting for the THD+N measurements. Not that it proves anything either way but it is still interesting and relevant.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clive.

You miss the point, it's not hearing like bats, it's perceiving. It's really not the same thing. This perception probably adds to the overall experience.

Grounding boxes may free up clutter to allow this perception to take place. Or gounding boxes may be a device of Satan....hard to know.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast