+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    63 pages, and not many people are more aware of how these things work.
    We might not know how they work but they do work in the right circumstances and they do make the music significantly better. Whats useful is getting an understanding of how this noise enters our systems in the first place and how we can target root causes. Some of these fixes are much more affordable to all

I'm Kevin.

So, build a faraday cage around your HiFi and you don’t need a grounding box?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    So, build a faraday cage around your HiFi and you don’t need a grounding box?
    Ha. I thought about saying that myself.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    So not the night and day difference that some have reported?
    For me no, but then I may not be tuned in to this sort of thing. I start sceptic and maybe this influences my judgement. A proper blind test would be interesting.

I'm Martin.

Well that's a turn up for the books. I was getting the impression that the differences were so obvious that it wasn't worth the bother of doing a blind test. Now you've got to be 'tuned in' to hear them?

Puts a different perspective on things I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Neal im not qualified remotely in electronics however;

Before i put this transformer in, a few weeks ago I did an experiment as i thought that my through the power network extender was was potentially an issue holding back my system. My network is router in the hall, network in power extender in the hall, network power extender in the hifi wall socket, netgear 5 port switch feeding apple Tv and TDAI3400.

My hifi network cables are chord c stream which is shielded per conducter and a sheat shield, but the router end is UTP. I took a 15m UTP cat 6 cable and ran it directly from my router to the Network switch. Played 4 tracks i knew well, then took it out and played them again with the in power network extender. Sat with my wife i thought i heard a very small improvement to the high end with cymbals etc. My wife said i was imagining it and it certainly wasnt enough to motivate me to put in a direct hard line.

Now with the transformer in between the hifi in power extender and the network switch seriously big improvements. I still have netgear switch on an smps but i keep it on a seperate power strip to the rest of the hifi with the cd player that i dont really use. The only other thing i changed was re organising the cables in the netgear so i used 1 in 3 apple tv and 5 tdai. Previously i was using 123.
    Hi Martin, if I’ve read your post correctly, it looks like the isolator has removed the ground connection of the cord (overall shield) between the powerline extender and the switch. If you have a spare UTP cable try that instead of the cord cable. Not saying it would improve things but maybe also try a UTP cable instead of the isolator and also a UTP from the switch to your HiFi.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well that's a turn up for the books. I was getting the impression that the differences were so obvious that it wasn't worth the bother of doing a blind test. Now you've got to be 'tuned in' to hear them?

Puts a different perspective on things I think.
    Put it this way, some in the room heard no difference, others heard an obvious difference and some weren't sure.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Put it this way, some in the room heard no difference, others heard an obvious difference and some weren't sure.
    I bet they all had differently-shaped ears.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    If I was in your position I would be asking the very same questions. There were no flaws. Let me try to put some description to it, though very simplified to show differences in scale.
    The system sounded very good to start with, as you might expect with the equipment used. Lets say the image was between and behind the speakers.

Step 1 gave a 50% increase in image width and depth.
    Step 2 gave another 50% increase in image width and depth. Plus I was thinking 'where has all that bass come from?' It was there in the first place but now sounds that much more tangible. I was told this is a common reaction.
    Step 3 and you are suddenly in the Albert Hall. It's not that the players have suddenly moved it is just that the ambience is there.

This is simplified, the snap, the attack and decay, the sheer fluidity of the performance just jumps out at you.
    Once heard it is difficult to believe that it all comes from Red Book.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    hmmm something stinks to me
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    hmmm something stinks to me
    Perspective: The improvements are dependent on the system, you wouldn't expect to hear a difference on an Aiwa separates system. OK that is a bit flippant but the greatest benefit is heard on a balanced system, by that is meant one that has 'equal' performance to all the individual parts.
    It's no good putting a top of the range amp into an otherwise average system.

Secondly we all hear differently. Experience and better kit will open up your perception of changes. Don't you find that once you have an improvement to your sound you can never go back?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast