+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Mike.

Offer still open here if you can pop over to North West Surrey.
    Mentioned previously and worth repeating in case anyone missed it.

I went from sceptic to full ardent fan. Rarely I have heard such massive improvements from anything in my system.
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm julian.

Thx Mike,
    I hope to take you up on that offer when i have a bit more free time.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Offer still open here if you can pop over to North West Surrey.
    Mentioned previously and worth repeating in case anyone missed it.

I went from sceptic to full ardent fan. Rarely I have heard such massive improvements from anything in my system.
    Sorry Mike but I cant wade through 26 pages, so could I get you to put in your 'signature' what cables you are using to connect to the RTZ box.

Thanks
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckworp View Post
    I have to say what a pleasure it is reading this thread. The previously mentioned taken down thread on the pf forum was horrible to come across. The thread was started with a post about how wonderful a particular grounding box was and inviting anyone to his home to listen to the effect. This was followed by a torrent of piss-taking and abuse, some even by dealers and manufacturers, who you would think would not want to ridicule potential customers. Of course no one with a positive experience with grounding boxes dared chip in. It is refreshing on AoS that Marco you keep the discussion cordial and thereby encourage debate.

The arrogance and rudeness of some of the 'objectivists' remains a mystery to me. I simply cannot comprehend their motivation for expending so much energy on forums espousing negativity. And repeatedly telling people that they are not really hearing what they think they are hearing. It is such odd behaviour.

On Grounding Boxes - I have listened to a few manufacturer's versions: I heard no difference on one, a minor difference on another, and a major difference on a third. The differences were real, I was not experiencing 'expectation bias' (which would have applied to all three had it been in existence - though to be truthful I don't experience this so called 'expectation bias' since I have no preconceived expectation of what will or will not improve or detract from the sound, so there is no bias to fulfill).

And it is liberating to know I can post this without knowing someone will tell me I am a fraud for hearing the improvement a grounding box presents.
    Which one made a difference?

What baffles me is that nobody can explain scientifically how they work.
    Do they only work on systems in houses with a noisy environment, only in houses with a ring main fitted? What situation do do you need to be in to hear a difference using a grounding box?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm jamie.

ive asked twice in this thread and got no answers
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Russell.

I must say, when I first heard about these grounding boxes on the forum here, I was skeptical. And, a large part of this skepticism is due to the manufacturers failing to provide a good reason as to why these things work, or not. Until I heard Alan and Marco say they have heard a difference, I had my doubts. Mainly because the sales pitch from some of these manufacturers sounded a lot like snake oil from products that don’t really work. However, the write up from Nordost I think comes closer to explaining it than others I have read.

From the testimonies of Alan and Marco, and what others have contributed here, it seems to me these products work by changing the, “Ground Potential”. And it’s as simple as that. I’m sure many here know how a laser printer works, while there is an absolute ground at the wall, the voltages inside the printer provide ground, and negative ground, the differences in voltages, and high voltages that are negative of ground make the positively charged toner particles attach to the lower than ground paper. I realize this is a very loose example and is not exactly how the grounding boxes work, but it illustrates that there can be differences in ground potential.

And this maybe why some makers are not forthcoming with the how and why of their products, they don’t want people knowing they can achieve the same results with less expensive parts? Such as, a grounding rod near the equipment. Or a resistor between signal ground and earth ground. Or whatever is causing the change in ground potential. Does the box of exotic materials on the end of the wire really matter? Or could the same results be achieved with a large block of iron? I don’t know. Or a box of wet sand? Or is it the cable that is causing the change? Simply increasing the mass of the signal ground could be affecting the ground potential.

In college I made an amplifier as my lab project. After building it, I had a pretty good hum going on. Increasing the size and number of grounds in the amp killed the hum. So why wouldn’t increasing it even more make it even quieter?

These are all just thoughts rolling around in my noggin, so please take it with a grain of salt. I have no personal experience with these products, and do not presume to know more than those with first hand experience. But being a scientific man, I need to have some idea of how something works to enjoy it. I don’t have to know for a fact this is how it works, but I at least need some plausible reasons why it could work. If there was a product that made absolutely no sense, but actually worked, I would have internal conflict, and I don’t think I could enjoy it’s benefits without at least a loose theory as to why it might work. If magic is the only plausible way something could work, I wouldn’t be able to accept that, and would probably be happier without it, no matter how great the improvement.

I suspect that once the mystery of how a Grounding Box works is out, people will be able to achieve these same results for much cheaper than they are charging for these new products. But time will tell!

Russell

I'm Jason.

Good post alphaGT.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that some equipment may have mains Earth and 0V connected together, in which case I cannot see how a grounding box could provide a lower impedance earth path. Surely this would increase the chances of a ground loop.

While there are pictures of the internals of grounding boxes on the internet, we have no idea how genuine they are, so how much insight we can gain from these is debatable.

I am really struggling myself to see how a passive box can act as a low impedance ground for 0V, unless it is designed to act as an equipotential reference point for 0V. But if this is true then the same results could be achieved for next to nothing cost.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalboon View Post
    Good post alphaGT.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that some equipment may have mains Earth and 0V connected together, in which case I cannot see how a grounding box could provide a lower impedance earth path.
    ..... unless it is designed to act as an equipotential reference point for 0V.
    They don't provide an 'earth path', they are unconnected from earth. They don't act as an equipotential reference point either.
    I have theories and will at some stage attempt to provide an answer (to myself at least), but at the moment it is still perplexing.

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    They don't provide an 'earth path', they are unconnected from earth. They don't act as an equipotential reference point either.
    I have theories and will at some stage attempt to provide an answer (to myself at least), but at the moment it is still perplexing.
    My point was that is, for example an amplifier, that has 0V referenced to mains earth (via the amplifiers classic/case) then it would be an earth path.

I'm Andrew.

Accepting that these things work, and Firebottle has an inkling of how, would they work in a balanced system using xlr’s etc?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast