+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SME 3009r headshell advice

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I have one of these for sale but with the proper slotted screws . £25.00 + P&P £5.00 by Royal Mail:

PM me if interested.
    Sold
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by pidge22 View Post
    Thanks for the info....hopefully the one pictured is the S2-R & will work with my 3009-R as i have bought it!
    The headshell you have bought is the SME S2 not the S2-R, which as Dave has said, is made of thicker aluminium and has the fingerlift attached to the side of the shell and not sandwiched between the headshell and cartridge. That notwithstanding, the S2 can be used in your 3009-R, as can any headshell that uses the SME/EIA bayonet coupling.
    Barry

I'm Michael.

Hi,
    I've just noticed this thread - not been on AOS for a while.
    The main difference between the earlier SME h/shells and the later 'R' type ones, ignoring the attachment of the finger lift, is the addition of a lower locating pin, i.e. earlier h/shells have one pin on the top of the connector, the latter 'R' types have 2, the lower one being offset towards the front of the h/shell connector.
    Regardless of the number of pins, both types of h/shell will fit either the 'R' type or the earlier versions of the arms.

Regards
    Mike Kelshaw

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkelshaw View Post
    Hi,
    I've just noticed this thread - not been on AOS for a while.
    The main difference between the earlier SME h/shells and the later 'R' type ones, ignoring the attachment of the finger lift, is the addition of a lower locating pin, i.e. earlier h/shells have one pin on the top of the connector, the latter 'R' types have 2, the lower one being offset towards the front of the h/shell connector.
    Regardless of the number of pins, both types of h/shell will fit either the 'R' type or the earlier versions of the arms.

Regards
    Mike Kelshaw
    thanks for the information ...
    Klimax DS/3,Lp12,Keel,Aro,Radikal/1,Kandid & Tron Seven (Ultimate) Klimax Kontrol/1,Solos/1 & Akurate 242's (mark 3)

I'm Frank.

The problem I have with these headshells is the rubber spacer (seemingly bonded-to with the S2-R) which SME presumably introduced due to less exact assembly/manufacturing tolerances.
    However, a mid '60's SME 3009 appears so well engineered that no spacer is required; even with the single draw-pin in the S2 it creates a one-piece bond with the arm-tube.

Quote Originally Posted by tinear View Post
    The problem I have with these headshells is the rubber spacer (seemingly bonded-to with the S2-R) which SME presumably introduced due to less exact assembly/manufacturing tolerances.
    However, a mid '60's SME 3009 appears so well engineered that no spacer is required; even with the single draw-pin in the S2 it creates a one-piece bond with the arm-tube.
    I have a couple of SME S2-R headshells. The rubber washer is easily removed.

It's presence (on both the S2, S3 and S2-R shells ) has nothing to do with assembly/manufacturing tolerances. Alastair Robertson-Aikman (who designed the arm) thought that a small amount of decoupling was beneficial. Whether you agree with him or not, the rubber washer is easily removed.
    Last edited by Barry; 14-02-2019 at 00:17.
    Barry

I'm Frank.

Well, I've noticed if the rubber spacer is omitted then the headshell (have a few) will 'wobble' as it doesn't make intimate contact to the arm-tube end...possibly the fault of my particular mid-70's 3009 improved, then - or, as Audio T said, a few years previously, 'its gone all plasticky..'
    (an additional problem is that the rubber compresses unevenly with the single-pin S2 - so the headshell is no longer in alignment with the arm-tube)

Quote Originally Posted by tinear View Post
    Well, I've noticed if the rubber spacer is omitted then the headshell (have a few) will 'wobble' as it doesn't make intimate contact to the arm-tube end...possibly the fault of my particular mid-70's 3009 improved, then - or, as Audio T said, a few years previously, 'its gone all plasticky..'
    Interesting. I have five SME arms (two 3009/IIs, a 3009/II ()improved, a 3012/II and an M2-12R) as well as 10 SME headshells (mostly S2, an S3 and a couple of S2-Rs) and all mate securely regardless of whether the rubber washer is present or not.

The same was found with the ADC LMG cast magnesium headshells I used to use in the '80s.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

I always take them off. Never had a wobbly one yet.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Are these SME headshells actually any good?i have one but other than looking cool
    Never actually used it.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast