+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft 25 RS cartridge question

I'm Osian.

Thanks. I will certainly consider the 2M Black or Decca (though I don't know how it would be with the Nima?). I was also thinking of a Nagaoka MP-500 or Music Maker Mk III.

I don't mind investing in a decent headamp or SUT, as I'm hoping to upgrade or replace the turntable in the future, so keen to get the basics right. Is the Denon headamp much better than the new ones I mentioned (Headspace or Elevator)?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    I've used a high output Micro Ace with a Croft pre-amp (Micro A upgraded to 25R spec at the time, since upgraded to 25RS spec), and it worked very nicely, just a bit quieter than the line stage.
    Thanks, that's good to know - I was worried that a HOMC might not suit the Croft. It could open other possibilities too, e.g. the other Benz cartridges or the Dynavector 10X5 or 20X2H. Again, that would save having to think about an SUT/headamp.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Funny things Deccas. They can sound crap partnered with some equipment. Some people just don't like them anyway. A few of them just don't deliver, sounding a bit off no matter what. But in the right system a good one can sound outstanding.
    Too much of a mythical beast for me mate. I tried a Blue, Gold and loaned a Super Gold. I'd not buy another.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by osh View Post
    Thanks. I will certainly consider the 2M Black or Decca (though I don't know how it would be with the Nima?). I was also thinking of a Nagaoka MP-500 or Music Maker Mk III.

I don't mind investing in a decent headamp or SUT, as I'm hoping to upgrade or replace the turntable in the future, so keen to get the basics right. Is the Denon headamp much better than the new ones I mentioned (Headspace or Elevator)?

Thanks, that's good to know - I was worried that a HOMC might not suit the Croft. It could open other possibilities too, e.g. the other Benz cartridges or the Dynavector 10X5 or 20X2H. Again, that would save having to think about an SUT/headamp.
    You have to be careful with croft gear imo, it can get very "Rich" sounding, very quickly.

Dynavectors, Nagaokas will make the sound very soft, syrupy and probably as dynamic as dishwater.

Your TT is a lush sounding unit too so for me, I'd be concerned about all that lushness.
    . ultimately, it's your system and its up to you what sound to go for.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'll never argue with anyone who's tried something in their system mate. We both hit the Deccas about the same time but if there was a choice between a Decca and a 2m black, I'd pick the black. That's only my opinion though and you qualified yours by having both.
    cool,i think id have the 2m too with hindsight
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    cool,i think id have the 2m too with hindsight
    Very wise. I knew we'd Agee lol

I'm John.

A Decca?! Had three here and they will never be on any TT of mine again.

Completely outperformed by numerous cartridges. The 2M black for one.

Glad it works for you though.
    It does. It makes me blissfully happy.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    It does. It makes me blissfully happy.
    That's what it's all about mate, finding what works.

I couldn't get in with them at all.

I'm John.

That's what it's all about mate, finding what works.

I couldn't get in with them at all.
    My Decca experience was a bit of a surprise, really. I'd heard all the caveats over many years and only decided to dip my toe in the water when a bargain Blue came up on Ebay a few years ago.. I have to say, I've never experienced a single one of the downsides i was expecting. People talk about a "seat of the pants" type experience, tracking problems, etc but to me the Decca just sounds glorious on all musical genres, and never misbehaves at all.
    I'm sure a 2M black will be a good 2nd best, though.

I'm Osian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Good advice Oli! Yes tried many many combinations with a Croft 25R including a Decca and various MC cartridges with head amps and SUTs. No doubt you could find the right combination that would work but it could take you an awful long time and lots of money.

Best bet would be try a 2M black, it will give you the detail, soundstage, dynamics and air that any MC cartridge will give you up to £1000. The 2M black has brilliant synergy with the Croft 25r. Just don't use a pair of bright sounding speakers as it maybe too much. Other than that you will hear a live dynamic performance that can be thrilling with the right recording. Make sure you use some nice NOS valves In the phono stage such as Tesla or better still Telefunkens and you will get superb tonal quality and incredible detail.

If
    Thanks. I'm using Harbeth speakers. Currently have Mullards in the phono stage and a Sylvania 12BH7, along with an RCA black plate triple mica 5751 in the Croft 7R. I will try and find some Teslas or Telefunkens one day.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by osh View Post
    Thanks. I'm using Harbeth speakers. Currently have Mullards in the phono stage and a Sylvania 12BH7, along with an RCA black plate triple mica 5751 in the Croft 7R. I will try and find some Teslas or Telefunkens one day.
    Tesla E83CC in the phono stage is absolutely the way to go (Thanks, Jimbo )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast