+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft 25 RS cartridge question

I'm Osian.

Default Croft 25 RS cartridge question

My analogue system is currently as follows: LP12 with Roksan Nima arm and Linn Adikt MM cartridge into a Croft 25 RS pre-amplifier.

I'm thinking of changing the cartridge to a moving coil, possibly a Benz Micro Ace, and I'm wondering what the best way of connecting it to the Croft would be?

As far as I can see, one option would be to go for the high output version, and to connect it directly. I don't know how well this would work?

Alternatively, I could go for the low output version and use a step-up transformer or head amp. I don't know which would be best, but have been looking at the Graham Slee Elevator or Rothwell Headspace head amps as possible options.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by osh View Post
    My analogue system is currently as follows: LP12 with Roksan Nima arm and Linn Adikt MM cartridge into a Croft 25 RS pre-amplifier.

I'm thinking of changing the cartridge to a moving coil, possibly a Benz Micro Ace, and I'm wondering what the best way of connecting it to the Croft would be?

As far as I can see, one option would be to go for the high output version, and to connect it directly. I don't know how well this would work?

Alternatively, I could go for the low output version and use a step-up transformer or head amp. I don't know which would be best, but have been looking at the Graham Slee Elevator or Rothwell Headspace head amps as possible options.

Any advice would be very welcome.
    I wouldn't go down the MC rabbit hole with that setup. I'd be looking at getting some life into it via A 2M black.

Last thing you need in there is a SUT or Headamp to confuse things. Believe me when I say, unless you are willing to spend £750+ in a SUT, the results will never be as good as a Headamp like the Denon HA-500.

If you insist on going MC + SUT, THE best budget SUT is the 1334 (?) Cinemag Bob's device.

I have done all of this personally and have used High end SUTS like Hashimotos, high end Ortofons plus many others.

Imo, Headamp are easier to find a better match with.

I now use a MC only phonostage with Jfets doing the gain setting. I've never looked back.

Good luck!

I'm jamie.

another vote for the denon ha-500,my modded one was very good and id still be using it if i didn't own a paradise phono stage.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm John.

I've used a high output Micro Ace with a Croft pre-amp (Micro A upgraded to 25R spec at the time, since upgraded to 25RS spec), and it worked very nicely, just a bit quieter than the line stage.
    I changed the Benz to a Decca after a while. Hugely better in every way and strongly recommended.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    I've used a high output Micro Ace with a Croft pre-amp (Micro A upgraded to 25R spec at the time, since upgraded to 25RS spec), and it worked very nicely, just a bit quieter than the line stage.
    I changed the Benz to a Decca after a while. Hugely better in every way and strongly recommended.
    A Decca?! Had three here and they will never be on any TT of mine again.

Completely outperformed by numerous cartridges. The 2M black for one.

Glad it works for you though.

Bigman80 Guest

Don't take my word for it, a guy here called Jimbo has heard practically everything possible that Glenn has made.

He has Croft gear, I've heard his rig, he uses a 2M black and it's a perfect match.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

there are lots of people who love decca cartridges,i dipped my toe in the water with a C4E,it destroyed my 2m black,what put me off was it really wasn't an every day cartridge,that and being tonearm fussy.
    like you,been there and done it,never again
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

Funny things Deccas. They can sound crap partnered with some equipment. Some people just don't like them anyway. A few of them just don't deliver, sounding a bit off no matter what. But in the right system a good one can sound outstanding.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Good advice Oli! Yes tried many many combinations with a Croft 25R including a Decca and various MC cartridges with head amps and SUTs. No doubt you could find the right combination that would work but it could take you an awful long time and lots of money.

Best bet would be try a 2M black, it will give you the detail, soundstage, dynamics and air that any MC cartridge will give you up to £1000. The 2M black has brilliant synergy with the Croft 25r. Just don't use a pair of bright sounding speakers as it maybe too much. Other than that you will hear a live dynamic performance that can be thrilling with the right recording. Make sure you use some nice NOS valves In the phono stage such as Tesla or better still Telefunkens and you will get superb tonal quality and incredible detail.

If
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    there are lots of people who love decca cartridges,i dipped my toe in the water with a C4E,it destroyed my 2m black,what put me off was it really wasn't an every day cartridge,that and being tonearm fussy.
    like you,been there and done it,never again
    I'll never argue with anyone who's tried something in their system mate. We both hit the Deccas about the same time but if there was a choice between a Decca and a 2m black, I'd pick the black. That's only my opinion though and you qualified yours by having both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast