+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi - looking for help

I'm Brian.

Default Hi - looking for help

Hi, I'm Brian in southern England. Sadly I lost all hearing in one ear in my 30s and am now starting to have problems with my other so top-end hifi is a waste on me. Although I did get tears in my eyes when I was demonstrated a Steinway Lyndorff system just a few years ago.

My own set-up is (remember I'm quite deaf so anything good is wasted) a Denon AVR-2310 home cine amp driving my ancient Tannoy DC2000s for music listening with an Oppo DVD player as the CD source. In cine mode I add a Tannoy Mercury centre, a pair of Mordaunt Short MS902s as rears and a little tiny Yamaha YST-SW90 sub but the Tannoys don't need much bass. I love the chunky, no-frills look and sound of the Tannoys.

So why am I here? Well, for advice. A neighbour's husband died and his widow has some Chartwell LS3/5As in fantastic condition that are sadly beyond both my price and ear (just the one) so I'm trying to help her sell them and hoped I might get advice beyond "stick 'em on Ebay".

I'm Martin.

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.

I think I'm right in saying that the Chartwells are the most desirable of the LS3/5A variants so you won't have much trouble selling them.

Ebay will, I'm afraid, get you the best price. But only sell for cash on collection as eBay gives sellers no protection against scammers. Also fees will be high.

Other options are to sell them on a hi-fi forum such as this one, they will realise less but there is much less chance of being mucked about. Or sell them to a dealer, again you will not get top dollar as the dealer has to wet his beak but the trade off is a hassle free sale.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Graham.

Agree Ebay is likely to get the best price as these are highly sought after.

Ebay occasionally have £1 seller fees promotions. By coincidence, there is a £1 promotion finishing tonight, so if you can take some high quality pics, this will get you a good price.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/promos/y7210/

+ Reply to Thread