+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rega Planar 1 anti-skating issue.

I'm Andrey.

Default Rega Planar 1 anti-skating issue.

Hi!

My name is Andrey. I'm a newcomer at this forum and actually in a world of analogue equipment. When I've decided to purchase a TT I did not know much about it and a quick research lead me to Rega Planar 1 as a good choice for beginner for a reasonable price , so I baught it with Rega Fono MM. I was happy with the quality of sound, but as usuall appetite comes with eating, so rather quickly I began to think about upgrading cartridge. The most obvious choice was Rega Elys 2 cartridge, cause of its good reviews and full compatibility with a TT, as it was said in a manual. I aquired it, but a very annoying problem revealed, that made me think that upgrade descision was a bit premature. The problem is pre-set anti-skating of RB110 tonarm, which is set for 2g without ajustment ability. It is perfect for Rega Carbon with 2,5g recommended downforce, but too much for Elys 2 with 1,75g, so when setting counterwheight to this value, the tonarm begins to slide to the right, which causes playback problems and, as I can guess, exessive pressure to one side of the groove, which cannot be good for records. Of cause, afterwards, when I searched the internet, I read, that it is a well known issue of Planar series and that people solve it by unmounting the anti-scating magnet which is glued inside the tonarm, but for now I think this measure is too radical.

Maybe someone already dealt with changing cartringe on Planar TTs ?

How did you solved anti-skating mismatch issue ?

Thank you!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Akod View Post
    Hi!

My name is Andrey. I'm a newcomer at this forum and actually in a world of analogue equipment. When I've decided to purchase a TT I did not know much about it and a quick research lead me to Rega Planar 1 as a good choice for beginner for a reasonable price , so I baught it with Rega Fono MM. I was happy with the quality of sound, but as usuall appetite comes with eating, so rather quickly I began to think about upgrading cartridge. The most obvious choice was Rega Elys 2 cartridge, cause of its good reviews and full compatibility with a TT, as it was said in a manual. I aquired it, but a very annoying problem revealed, that made me think that upgrade descision was a bit premature. The problem is pre-set anti-skating of RB110 tonarm, which is set for 2g without ajustment ability. It is perfect for Rega Carbon with 2,5g recommended downforce, but too much for Elys 2 with 1,75g, so when setting counterwheight to this value, the tonarm begins to slide to the right, which causes playback problems and, as I can guess, exessive pressure to one side of the groove, which cannot be good for records. Of cause, afterwards, when I searched the internet, I read, that it is a well known issue of Planar series and that people solve it by unmounting the anti-scating magnet which is glued inside the tonarm, but for now I think this measure is too radical.

Maybe someone already dealt with changing cartringe on Planar TTs ?

How did you solved anti-skating mismatch issue ?

Thank you!
    I was not aware that Rega made an arm without Anti Skating adjustment. I hate to say this but, without that ability I think you have to stick with Rega's cart of choice for that arm. I get it cuts costs to omit anti skating adjustment, but to do so basically makes that arm incompatible with so much, I could not myself personally recommend that arm.

There is no tweak that I can think of that would sort this design omission.
    Regards Neil

I'm Andrey.

Thanks! I see....another question then: based on your experience, how critical is setting higher downforce for the cart then recommended ? What kind of problems could setting it for example to 2-2,1g (while recommended is 1,75) cause ?

I'm Charlie.

Andrey,

I suggest that you contact Paul Darwin, the managing director of Rega, on PinkFish Media (PFM). PFM is another UK hi-fi forum and Paul will normally answer queries directly and offer to help.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Charlie.

R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Andrey.

Wow! Thanks a lot!)

I'm Andrey.

Hm. Paul's answer looks veeeery confusing.

Here are the specifications from Rega official site:

http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/carbon-leaflet-eng.pdf
    http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/elys-2.pdf

Also, I have electronic scales and I have checked the downforce, when the counterweight is pushed all the way to the collar. It is 2,5g....

It becomes stranger and stranger...
    Last edited by Akod; 22-01-2019 at 09:23.

I'm Charlie.

Andrey
    I have sent Paul darwina private message on PFM
    Charlie

I'm Andrey.

Thank you so much! I hope he will clarify the situation.

I'm Dave.

Using stylus scales you can set the tracking weight with the Elys-2 to the recommended 1.75/1.8 weight. The pre-set bias is an approximate value but perfectly suitable for the Carbon and/or Bias-2 or Elys-2.

What I believe you are saying is that when setting the tracking weight, the arm swings outwards. If that is what you are experiencing, then that is perfectly normal. It's a bit annoying because you can't disable the bias, but is not a problem when playing records at the recommended tracking weight and it won't cause any "playback problems".

I have done just this on a couple of occasions and had a few customers upgrading their cartridge on a P1 or P2 and there are no problems with these combinations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast