Hi!

My name is Andrey. I'm a newcomer at this forum and actually in a world of analogue equipment. When I've decided to purchase a TT I did not know much about it and a quick research lead me to Rega Planar 1 as a good choice for beginner for a reasonable price , so I baught it with Rega Fono MM. I was happy with the quality of sound, but as usuall appetite comes with eating, so rather quickly I began to think about upgrading cartridge. The most obvious choice was Rega Elys 2 cartridge, cause of its good reviews and full compatibility with a TT, as it was said in a manual. I aquired it, but a very annoying problem revealed, that made me think that upgrade descision was a bit premature. The problem is pre-set anti-skating of RB110 tonarm, which is set for 2g without ajustment ability. It is perfect for Rega Carbon with 2,5g recommended downforce, but too much for Elys 2 with 1,75g, so when setting counterwheight to this value, the tonarm begins to slide to the right, which causes playback problems and, as I can guess, exessive pressure to one side of the groove, which cannot be good for records. Of cause, afterwards, when I searched the internet, I read, that it is a well known issue of Planar series and that people solve it by unmounting the anti-scating magnet which is glued inside the tonarm, but for now I think this measure is too radical.

Maybe someone already dealt with changing cartringe on Planar TTs ?

How did you solved anti-skating mismatch issue ?

Thank you!