+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into cycling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ben.

Default Getting back into cycling

So chatting over the Xmas holidays me & my 2 brothers have decided to do a few days away riding the South downs way. We are starting from Winchester and aiming to finish in Eastbourne (100 mostly off-road miles) 2.5 days later. It's supposed to be fairly hilly route so we have split it into 3 days (40 miles max a day) with a b&b stop each evening.

As of a few weeks ago I'd not ridden a bike in ages, 3 years ago I'd herniated a disc in my lower back and cycling hadn't been on my radar much.

But things are a lot better now, and I firmly believe in setting yourself challenges so this is my next one .

Ive been out and bought myself a decent mountain bike last week, it's certainly slower than my old road bike but it's v comfy and I think with sensible training the 100 mile will be a walk in the park sort of!

So this morning was first ride on it, very flat 16k route local to home. Nice an easy, all felt good. Can't wait for the next outing now

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Robert.

Nice one Ben,

Used to be a serious cyclist way back.

During my formative years, next to music, hifi and F1, cycling was my passion, I rode my bike everywhere until I came to London just before my 17th birthday.

I stopped when I came to London, being far more interested in partying, girls and getting a car

I started up again in my mid 20's as I'd bought my first place and got into debt which meant my lovely Astra GTE 16v had to go.

My folks then treated me to a bike to save me the hassle and frustration of long waits for the bus to theirs on a Sunday for dinner etc.

Only a few miles but i loved it as it meant I didnt have to endure the mad busy London roads the way proper cyclists do here and was at my Mums in 10-15 mins

My brother treated himself to something similar to yours about a year back, all black and stealth like.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Ben.

Cheers dude,

Felt very good to get back in the saddle. About 5 or 6 years ago I was riding a fair bit in sportives and triathlons but that was on road. Im feeling really enthusiastic about getting out and seeing some countryside by mountain bike.

Also spending 3 days riding with my brothers will be a real laugh, something I doubt the 3 of us have done since we were kids. There will no doubt be a bit of a competitive element amounst the laughs!

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Cheers dude,

Felt very good to get back in the saddle. About 5 or 6 years ago I was riding a fair bit in sportives and triathlons but that was on road. Im feeling really enthusiastic about getting out and seeing some countryside by mountain bike.

Also spending 3 days riding with my brothers will be a real laugh, something I doubt the 3 of us have done since we were kids. There will no doubt be a bit of a competitive element amounst the laughs!

Excellent ! fun, fitness and catching up with the bros
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Excellent ! fun, fitness and catching up with the bros
    We are now all on Strava (activity logging app for walkers, runners, cyclists etc) so there's already plenty of "banter" between us.

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Svend.

Good one Ben! Avid cyclist here as well . Mostly MTB; rarely road, although I do own a decent road bike. But I LOVE riding singletrack through the forests here. One of my happy places . I ride at least 2x per week spring summer and fall, and even a few times in the winter when there's only an inch or two of snow. In fact, my mtn. bike looks a lot like yours - Trek Superfly hardtail. Love that bike! So much fun.

Are you going to be riding yours off road on mountain bike trails? Or mostly on the road and gravel paths? I'm guessing at 40 miles per day you're talking road here . I don't think I'd survive 40 miles of pounding on singletrack.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Good one Ben! Avid cyclist here as well . Mostly MTB; rarely road, although I do own a decent road bike. But I LOVE riding singletrack through the forests here. One of my happy places . I ride at least 2x per week spring summer and fall, and even a few times in the winter when there's only an inch or two of snow. In fact, my mtn. bike looks a lot like yours - Trek Superfly hardtail. Love that bike! So much fun.

Are you going to be riding yours off road on mountain bike trails? Or mostly on the road and gravel paths? I'm guessing at 40 miles per day you're talking road here . I don't think I'd survive 40 miles of pounding on singletrack.
    No it's all off road, I'm not sure what you call it exactly but from what I've seen on YouTube the route looks like rolling tracks & feilds.

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Rob.

I cycle a lot weekly mainly on roads and roughish tracks that can be really rough (sand/soil/rocks - combined) tree roots/grass/mud/more mud etc etc. I use a hybrid with tyres that I suspect hard-core off roaders would piss themselves at. However, they are great both on and off road and I have not had a puncture yet and have used the same tyres for a couple of years.

I rebuilt an MTB that my son broke. It has massive knobbly tyres and is a PITA to get any decent ride out of on the road and not that great off road.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Svend.

Ben, if you don't think you'll ever get into the rough stuff on your bike, then you might think about swapping the squishy fork for a rigid one. You would shave a couple of pounds off the weight.

OTOH, you might really like the forest paths and want to try some real MTB trails at some point. Tons of fun to be had there . You will need to keep the boingy front end for that.

I'm Dave.

Interesting this. I have a mountain bike which has been in its packing in the shed for years - never quite got round to putting it together, and trying it. Maybe it's time to do so now, before I can't cycle any more, and age really does kick in. I know others my aged (retired +) who still do a lot of riding, and I do need to make the effort to get fitter
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast