+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into cycling

I'm Ben.

So my plans changed a lot this morning, basically I just wanted to stay in doors eating biscuits, drinking tea, listening to music rather than braving the cold on the bike.

But then I had a bit of a word with myself and figured that any riding was better than no riding. So I sort of headed towards town with the vague idea of getting to sefton park doing a loop round the outside if it then heading back.

But once I was out I started to enjoy it and after checking my nav at the park I pushed on towards town as I'd only managed 14k.

From the centre of town I passed the cathedral and headed towards Albert Dock where I picked up the promenade which took me back towards home.

I'm definitely enjoying being back on a bike but boy is it hard work on a MTB rather than a road bike. Still it's not to be good for the legs & lungs I guess.

So ended doing 36k which was a bit of a trudge in places but pretty pleased with it all in. I earned this afternoons roast thats for sure.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Geoff.

I'm knackered just from looking at your pictures. At least you had a decent day for it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm knackered just from looking at your pictures. At least you had a decent day for it.
    Was chilly but I was prepared for it thankfully.

I've just got to get used to the idea that every weekend between now and the end of may is going to revolve around at lease 1 bike ride.

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Svend.

Nice one Ben, and good on ya for getting out on a cold day! Scenic area you live in, and looks like no shortage of trails to explore.

And yes, riding a mountain bike on the road is a slog. Slow-rolling tires, heavy fork...Gasp! Are your tires set up tubeless? That helps a lot to reduce rolling resistance and rotating mass (about 250g/wheel). I did that on my bike, and it is brilliant.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Nice one Ben, and good on ya for getting out on a cold day! Scenic area you live in, and looks like no shortage of trails to explore.

And yes, riding a mountain bike on the road is a slog. Slow-rolling tires, heavy fork...Gasp! Are your tires set up tubeless? That helps a lot to reduce rolling resistance and rotating mass (about 250g/wheel). I did that on my bike, and it is brilliant.
    Morning mate,

Yeah Liverpool has its scenic spots, its a nice place to live in that respect. There's not so much in the way of off road trails near me but plenty of paved cycle tracks to ride.

I'm running inner tubes at the moment but will look into going tubeless, anything to help with the on-road slog!!
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Svend.

Tubeless is well worth the effort. It can be fussy to set up, but Bontrager makes it as easy as it can get with their rim-tire combos. E.g.: I run Bontrager XR4 (Fr.) and XR3 (Rr.) on my 29er, and have no need for sealant, the fit between tire bead and rim is that tight. Granted, the tires will slowly deflate over the course of a week, but that is no matter as I always air them up before every ride no matter what. I've had them set up that way for 3 seasons and have never had a puncture...and believe me they take a pounding (I weigh 225 lbs, and ride some gnarly terrain, so the tires really get flogged).

At the initial install it can be difficult to get the bead to seat in the rim hook (this is true of any tubeless setup, not just Bontrager), and sometimes I have to use my compressor to blast them into place. If you don't have a compressor you might want to get your shop to do this for you.

A few ounces of sealant in there would be good if you ride on the road a lot, to seal up any holes from nails, glass, etc..

Speaking of road and gravel riding, Bonty has a micro-knobby tubeless tire that might work well for you:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/e...olorCode=black

Those closely-spaced centre knobs should be pretty fast rolling. Lighter too, than the XR2 tires that are on your bike now -- about 150g less. Minus the weight of the tubes (~250g) and you're looking at saving 400g per wheel! That's almost 2 lbs off the bike and 1 lb/wheel of rotating mass. Pretty significant... You'll be flying along

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Ben.

Another Sunday another ride. This morning I got the train into town changing at Liverpool central and then continuing on under the Mersey and across to the Wirral.

The Wirral way is a 15 miles or so foot & cycle path that I picked up at Hooten and followed towards the ferry terminal at New Brighton. The first half was all offroad mainly hardpack and then when I hit the coastal section that was all paved.

The entire route was about 44k ish including riding to & from the station. About half way through the ride I felt like I could run a bit more seat height so whacked it up another 1.5inches or so. Result was an immediate improvement in knee comfort and I hit the sweet spot in terms of hips rocking nicely and being a bit more over the front of the bike.

I could of cycled from town back home but had a bit of a time constraint so jumped the train again homewards.

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm brian.

We all use that excuse mate( train ) . Winds be bad in London so chickened out of me cycle ride for the last few days. Weather picking up next week though so looking forward to
    a few good hours in the saddle, taking in the famous ( infamous ) super cycle highway route alongside the thames as I pass stationery traffic blocking up half of London
    Should nt laugh but what can you do ?. Must check your route out on google maps. b w

I'm Svend.

Nice one Ben! I see you're putting on a good tempo here:

Seat height looks like it could go up a bit more. And you'll want to take off those training wheels to do off-road

Seriously, that's a really nice area you live in. Great photos. And 44km...that's getting up there. And on a mountain bike too. Earned your beer after that one.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Nice one Ben! I see you're putting on a good tempo here:

Seat height looks like it could go up a bit more. And you'll want to take off those training wheels to do off-road

Seriously, that's a really nice area you live in. Great photos. And 44km...that's getting up there. And on a mountain bike too. Earned your beer after that one.

Cheers,
    Svend

Thanks mate! Yeah that was before I adjusted my seat height!!

Just got to get the miles in every weekend until the clocks go back and then I might get a chance for a few evening rides too.

I really enjoyed yesterday, felt like a mini adventure & il deffo be using the trains to drop me off further afield no doubt.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast