+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into cycling

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Looks a great bike Ben, Genesis make some great machines. I bought a Specialized Gravel bike called the Diverge a few years back and really loved it as it felt a bit like my road bike but you could tackle some off road singletrack on it aswell.

What are the tyres you have on the GENESIS, mine are a bit more like slics but I need some knobblies for the roads at the moment because they are so terrible during this winter weather.
    Thanks for the positive comments!

It arrived with WTB Nano 700 x 40 tyres which roll well on the road seemingly but still have a bit of tread for the rougher stuff.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hi Ben, nice looking bike.

I don't know if you are aware, but there is a good bike forum "cycle chat". They have lots of quite active discussions/advice etc on MTB's etc (I tend to spend quite a bit of time on the "vintage" section as I enjoy doing up old steel bikes as a pastime, photo is one of my favourites )

I am a bit of a "fair weather cyclist", so looking forward to spring and drier roads.
    Thanks fir that, il certainly check out bike chat sounds like a good place to kill some time!

Your bike looks great, I'm guessing that's a slightly different riding position that modern stuff?

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Geoff.

Pretty bike. Reminds me of the handmade Fiorelli I had as a lad. Old 'racing' bikes are great, I often wonder if we have actually moved on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Thanks fir that, il certainly check out bike chat sounds like a good place to kill some time!

Your bike looks great, I'm guessing that's a slightly different riding position that modern stuff?

Thanks Riding position is less upright than mountain/gravel bikes (more streamlined - like that makes much difference at my age ). I like drop bars though as they give more options for hand positions than flat bars.
    When I first got back on a racing bike I spent most of the ride "on the tops" or "ramps" as I was no longer flexible/confident enough to get my hands "in the drops". After a few rides though I managed to, and it led to a faster and more exhilarating ride

I have about ten bikes, including a couple of MTB's - old school, steel and no suspension. One of my frames was built around the same time that I was born: work of art, fast and comfortable
    There is something about classic steel bikes imo.

This is the state of my Mercian before powder coating and rebuilding (a gift from another member of https://www.cyclechat.net)

LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Pretty bike. Reminds me of the handmade Fiorelli I had as a lad. Old 'racing' bikes are great, I often wonder if we have actually moved on.

Fiorelli

Italian bikes can be works of art, you are right about "old racing bikes".
    In my eyes "form and function" is epitomised by hand-built steel frames

Modern bikes are lighter (generally), but if you want to save weight have a haircut and a good dump before you ride
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

Thanks Riding position is less upright than mountain/gravel bikes (more streamlined - like that makes much difference at my age ). I like drop bars though as they give more options for hand positions than flat bars.
    When I first got back on a racing bike I spent most of the ride "on the tops" or "ramps" as I was no longer flexible/confident enough to get my hands "in the drops". After a few rides though I managed to, and it led to a faster and more exhilarating ride

I have about ten bikes, including a couple of MTB's - old school, steel and no suspension. One of my frames was built around the same time that I was born: work of art, fast and comfortable
    There is something about classic steel bikes imo.

This is the state of my Mercian before powder coating and rebuilding (a gift from another member of https://www.cyclechat.net)

looks like you broke it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I commuted by bike until I was pushing sixty and always used a racing bike with flat bars fitted. The last one was an old Puch I'd found dumped, that was like Trigger's broom, near enough the only bits that hadn't worn out and been replaced in the thousands of miles it did were the bars and frame. Funny thing is, I can't for the life of me remember what happened to it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

There is a large interest in vintage bikes at the moment amongst cyclists with bikes from the late 1970s to 1980s particularly sought after.

This vintage scene is very popular and there are quite a few vintage cycle events or there were before the dreaded covid hit!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm guy.

Prices for bikes on eBay have gone mad over the last year. Once we are out of lockdowns there will either be a lot of bikes left in sheds, or lower prices as people try to get rid of them.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

I have five of my eight to sell when the weather bucks up and lockdown eases. I'll be keeping the other three though .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast