+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into cycling

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    We all use that excuse mate( train ) . Winds be bad in London so chickened out of me cycle ride for the last few days. Weather picking up next week though so looking forward to
    a few good hours in the saddle, taking in the famous ( infamous ) super cycle highway route alongside the thames as I pass stationery traffic blocking up half of London
    Should nt laugh but what can you do ?. Must check your route out on google maps. b w
    Yep my borther done a 40 mile Evans sportive around kent yesterday and said they weather was horrendous!!
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Chris.

I see you have been over to my neck of the woods on the Wirral. You've done well to get out over the last few weeks with the ice and the wind. I ride most mornings from the Welsh side of the Wirral over to Liverpool on the commute- I've got sore legs tonight.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    I see you have been over to my neck of the woods on the Wirral. You've done well to get out over the last few weeks with the ice and the wind. I ride most mornings from the Welsh side of the Wirral over to Liverpool on the commute- I've got sore legs tonight.
    Hi Chris,

Yeah its been a bit cold recently but ive been enjoying myself, don't notice the cold much apart from my feet.

Can you suggest any other decent cycling routes on the wirrall mate?

This weekend I'm thinking about getting the train to Chester and then riding to delamere, doing a lap round the forrest and then heading back towards Runcorn to get the train back over the Mersey (I'm not sure if you can ride the new bridge or if the old ones still open to foot traffic?)

Anyway that's the plan at the moment...………..
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Was up early again on Sunday, didn't really fancy it but I pushed myself on. Train to Chester and then rode home from there, took in some Forrest trails at delamere before picking the train up again over the Mersey and back home.

Parts of it were pretty enjoyable but mtbing on the road is just tedious & slow compared to a road bike. The route was definitely hillier too.

Think I'm out walking next weekend & I'm already looking forward to a weekend off the bike!!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Rob.

Hello Zoidburg,

Just read your bike thread, some days you don't fancy it but still push on, it's making feel a little bit ashamed.

I bought a Giant Defy road bike 3 years back and was full of good intentions and actually did start to build up some fitness. I was riding out Widnes and then back to Liverpool in a 22 mile loop and doing it 3 times a week. Alas, work commitments took over, I was doing less and less and have now degenerated into something of biscuit eating slob.

When I see other lads putting the effort in and getting something from it, it gives a tingle of shame and optimism I should be out there. Like yourself I've had a few back problems lately and the riding position of my road bike meant I would be stretching my back more than I would on an upright hybrid/mountain bike, but still a lame excuse.

Getting back to your last ride, that's a decent time you've set there, your average speed is a 11mph approx over 48km on a heavy bike with big tyres that generate a lot of friction with the road, also your front forks aren't doing you any favours while on the road, they're dissapating some of your forward momentum into the road.

I find it's a nice feeling of accomplishment when you get some miles and scenery behind you, then get home to a meal youv'e earned.

I'm going to replace the cables on mine, they're sticking, wash it (something I haven't done for 18 months!) and start again on Monday 4th March. I'm too frightened to step onto the scales, I'll do that after a few rides.

Well done! Good motivational stuff for the rest of us.

I'm Ben.

Glad it's spurring you on mate, I must admit I feel a lot better for having a month of rides under my belt now, bit more bike fit.

I think for me it helps a bit if u have a target, so a train to somewhere and then riding back home is better for me, I just focus on the route home.

I also have a road bike I've not used in about 3 years that I'm now thinking of getting back on so if you fancy a ride out somewhere give me a shout.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Rob.

Yep, a ride together would be good, look forward.

At the moment though my fitness levels are through the floor, I'll get the bike ready and go out on a few 8 - 10 mile rides to just get my legs moving again, I am using the bike but it's only on short journeys and I'm dawdling.

Your 11mph on a mountain bike will be 15 - 17mph on a road bike, I'm doing 11-12mph now on my road bike.

I've noticed that about 10 or so rides and fitness starts to kick in, the rides don't seem to hurt as much and quicker recovery comes.

There's a zone in cycling when you have some fitness, where you set a tempo and you find the point where you're putting yourself through it, but not enough to make you want to stop and enough to make you stop thinking about all those day to day things you want to leave behind and when there you just concentrate on the road. When you're in that zone, you start to enjoy the pain and cover endless miles.

Give me about a month or so to get myself in gear and we'll go for a ride.

I'm Dave.

MMMmmmm. I was surprised to see so many people (11-13?) in the long yellow boat in the dock in msg 31. Can't say that I would have fancied that, but there's no accounting for taste. Looks like a good ride otherwise. Where was the statue in the roundabout thingy? Sefton Park, Princes Park, elsewhere?
    Dave

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    MMMmmmm. I was surprised to see so many people (11-13?) in the long yellow boat in the dock in msg 31. Can't say that I would have fancied that, but there's no accounting for taste. Looks like a good ride otherwise. Where was the statue in the roundabout thingy? Sefton Park, Princes Park, elsewhere?
    It was a big canoe, not noticed it before but its something id have a go at for sure.

The statue was in Sefton Park.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Yep, a ride together would be good, look forward.

At the moment though my fitness levels are through the floor, I'll get the bike ready and go out on a few 8 - 10 mile rides to just get my legs moving again, I am using the bike but it's only on short journeys and I'm dawdling.

Your 11mph on a mountain bike will be 15 - 17mph on a road bike, I'm doing 11-12mph now on my road bike.

I've noticed that about 10 or so rides and fitness starts to kick in, the rides don't seem to hurt as much and quicker recovery comes.

There's a zone in cycling when you have some fitness, where you set a tempo and you find the point where you're putting yourself through it, but not enough to make you want to stop and enough to make you stop thinking about all those day to day things you want to leave behind and when there you just concentrate on the road. When you're in that zone, you start to enjoy the pain and cover endless miles.

Give me about a month or so to get myself in gear and we'll go for a ride.
    Yep that sounds good, few weeks time lets get out for a few hours. Cycling is easier when you have a partner as well.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast