+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WTD] Marantz CD75/CD65

I'm Martin.

Default [WTD] Marantz CD75/CD65

Looking for a Marantz CD75 or CD65 in good working order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

I bought a 75DX a few years ago and wondered why I bothered once I heard it...

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I bought a 75DX a few years ago and wondered why I bothered once I heard it...

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Ok, thanks for your opinion, I think some more information is in order.

I use an old Marantz CD75 as a transport to play CD’s to the digital input of my Devialet 440 Pro.

The CD75 has been modified by myself. I have fitted a new TCXO low jitter clock to replace the noisy internal clock signal.

I have also removed the horrible digital output transformer that badly distorts the SP/DIF digital signal and taken the digital out signal direct from SAA7220 digital filter IC via a small capacitor and some miniature 75 ohm coax.

The SP/DIF waveform on the scope is now very clean and undistorted.

The sound is spectacular.

Now the problem is the Philips swing arm laser is on the way out, so I’m looking for another player of the same ilk that I can modify and use a replacement, hence the wanted AD.

I'm Lawrence.

Ah now that makes more sense. There might be more cd players of that period that use the same mech unless there was something bespoke about these models.

Do you mean the original model as I recall the mk2/ DX/SE models were quite different looking? Might have been the same mech under the bonnet mind you...

I'm Martin.

Default [WTD] Marantz CD75/CD65

Ah now that makes more sense. There might be more cd players of that period that use the same mech unless there was something bespoke about these models.

Do you mean the original model as I recall the mk2/ DX/SE models were quite different looking? Might have been the same mech under the bonnet mind you...
    Either of the CD65 II or the CD75 II SE would be nice. The CD75 II SE has the cast aluminium Philips swing arm mechanism, whereas the CD65 II has the plastic version.

I have a small collection of vintage CD players here, including an orignal 1980’s CD104, but I don’t want to mess with any of them, and in any case they don’t have remotes.

I'm Lawrence.

Do you think the 65SE also has the cast mech I thought the only difference was in the conversion stage.

I'm Martin.

Do you think the 65SE also has the cast mech I thought the only difference was in the conversion stage.
    I have both machines here. The CD75 II SE has the cast mechanism and the CD65II has the composite.

There are some other differences, the headphone amplifier for instance, and the 75 SE has some better spec Elna caps in the PSU and audio output stage, but otherwise the same conversion TDA1541 DAC chip and SAA7220 digital filter.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm being stupid, the only difference I think is that the 75 has an additional optical out. I was thinking of the difference between the SE and DX. I reckon the 65ii SE will have the same mech as the 75ii SE, and the 65s come up more frequently being the darling of the HiFi press at the time.

I'm kev.

I have a nice unit owned from new with remote and manual I use it occasionally
    No idea of value and no original box
    <a href=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lauren1809/media/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/lauren1809/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg target=_blank>http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psj2tyfozt.jpg</a></a>

I'm Martin.

I'm being stupid, the only difference I think is that the 75 has an additional optical out. I was thinking of the difference between the SE and DX. I reckon the 65ii SE will have the same mech as the 75ii SE, and the 65s come up more frequently being the darling of the HiFi press at the time.
    The 75 SE MK II I have here has the CDM 1 MK II mech. It has optical and rca digital out and a headphone amp with volume control.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast