+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about my new Jordan JX92S speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Default Question about my new Jordan JX92S speakers

I bought these today and they sound great, much less compromised then I expected (as in better overall than many 2 ways I've owned in the past). The previous owner told me that on Jon Espley's advice (the maker) he had added a Zobel network in parallel to the driver. I found the treble a little rolled off so decided to remove it and despite what I read online, it improved the treble.

However while in there I spotted an inductor and 2 paralleled resistors in series with the driver. My question is, what's that all about? I thought the point of Jordan speakers, and all full rangers, was to run them without a crossover. Could there be a negative effect if I remove them?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 18-01-2019 at 16:38.

I'm James.

Suck it and see! They are all about experimentation and what works for you.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

All drive units even full range ones will move into break-up at some point, you can see from the graph below that the Eikona driver has a significant peak in the response at about 8Khz so my guess is the inductor and resistors are there to tame it. But you might prefer the sound with them removed, will depend on a few external factors like how well damped the room is, your hearing, your personal tastes, and the sort of music you play.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Most 'full range' drivers get a bit untidy towards the top end. The Philips 9710M has a pretty unruly response above about 7kHz, but actually sounds really enjoyable.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

The standard advice with Jordan drivers, the JX92 and the newer Eikonas, is to toe the cabinets in so they cross in front of the listener. That tames the slightly harsh treble although the Eikonas are less prone to this. I have built quite a few Jordan based speakers over the years and never used any electronic components with them and have been more than happy with the results. By the way I think the components you mention are for baffle step correction. Jon probably included them to alter the speakers response in his cabinets.

I'm steve.

Default Question about my new Jordan JX92S speakers

I owned a pair of Jordan speakers for about 18 months, they were the VTLs and had the Eikona 2 drive units. They were very fine speakers in a lot of respects, excellent imagery, good dynamics and excellent midband, the treble though I found problematic. Tbh I don't think the rise in treble that the Jordan FR graph shows is actually accurate, I found the treble to be lacking once you got past 4khz or so even dead on axis, and as for the rise at 8-12khz, well in mine it definitely wasn't in evidence, the situation became worse whenI toed in the axes to cross in front of the listening position as Jordan recommend, set up like that mine just sounded dull and I had to apply quite a bit of EQ boost at the top end to make them sound properly balanced. I set mine up so I was listening dead on axis but with the cone driver being so directional at HF if I moved my head slightly to either side the sound balance varied a lot which was irritating and eventually I sold them on.
    Btw most modern amplifiers have a Zobel Network on the speaker outputs so putting one on the speaker is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

The graph I posted is the driver frequency response not the response of the Eikona speakers.

You don't have to have high frequency extension for instruments to sound 'right' - not much happens above 8Khz - middle C on piano is way down there at 278Hz to put that in perspective. On the other hand speakers have tweeters for a reason, they just don't do as much as some imagine. Cymbals have a lot of energy up about 10Khz though so if the response is trailing off by then it might sound a bit 'closed in'. Also short peaks or dips in FR don't tend to be audible, shallow troughs or lifts that run across a wide frequency band do.

I have heard some speakers using Jordan (and Bandor) drivers and they were pretty good but I understand that Ted Jordan was hard of hearing so probably he was not bothered about having FR flat all the way up to 20Khz.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You don't have to have high frequency extension for instruments to sound 'right' .
    Although high frequency extension may not be needed for reproducing fundamentals it certainly is needed to reproduce the important harmonics that give instruments their character and the airiness of the sound. Prior to selling on the Jordans I bought a pair of extremely inexpensive Q Acoustics 2020i’s which in direct comparison did everything in the treble that the Jordans didn’t do.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Although high frequency extension may not be needed for reproducing fundamentals it certainly is needed to reproduce the important harmonics that give instruments their character and the airiness of the sound
    Is there evidence that reproducing harmonics above audibility is useful? The harmonic influence on lower frequencies will be within the signal anyway.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is there evidence that reproducing harmonics above audibility is useful? The harmonic influence on lower frequencies will be within the signal anyway.
    Apparently so from what I’ve read although 8-15khz is audible to most barring the elderly, certainly there is a consensus that even harmonics outside the audible range do have a effect on the perceived sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast