+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Force Scales Accuracy

I'm Robert.

Default Tracking Force Scales Accuracy

Is there a big diiference between the accuracy of some tracking force scales and others ??

For instance, something like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-S...-TL0:rk:2:pf:0

against something far cheaper like this made in China jobby https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-C...C~CH:rk:9:pf:0
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Adam.

I remember years ago one of the hi-fi magazines (I think it was Hi-Fi World, IIRC) doing a test of all the digital gauges on the market to see which was most accurate. They also threw the old Garrard SPG3 in for a laugh, and came to the surprising conclusion that it was one of the cheapest, but also one of the most accurate!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Simon.

Double sided sticky tape a credit card to a cheap Chinese one to keep the magnets apart and they're mega, better than o.o5g accurate, ime
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Graham.

Hi Robbie,
    I find the cheap Chinese one works fine. Only issue is the replacement battery. I bought LR43 supposedly same as AG12 fitted originally. However with the Duracell LR43, the display is dimmer and it ran out quickly. I will be trying cheaper AG12 batteries next time as the original AG12s lasted a long time.
    The digital scale is certainly easier to use than the Shure scale I have and seems at least as accurate.

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Is there a big diiference between the accuracy of some tracking force scales and others ??

For instance, something like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-S...-TL0:rk:2:pf:0

against something far cheaper like this made in China jobby https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-C...C~CH:rk:9:pf:0
    Very likely they are both made in China, and quite possibly in the same factory. Probably both manufactured by Canrong.

Big difference between the two scales is that the more expensive model has resolution to 3 decimal points or 1/1000th of a gram; the less expensive model measures only to 2 decimal points or 1/100th of a gram.

The more expensive model also appears to use AAA batteries which I would view as a positive. The model that I used for about 7-8 years before it died that had the higher resolution used the button/watch type batteries that are typical in the lower priced/lower resolution models. I now have a couple of the cheaper, lower rez models that are about $10.

If you search Ebay, the higher resolution model (unbranded) should be able to be found around $50-$60. These models also have, IMO, slightly better build quality and may last longer. But the reality is that you can buy 4-5 of the low rez models for the same price and measuring to 1/100th of a gram is still pretty decent.

When I had the higher resolution model my wife was a research tech. I had her take that $50 scale into the lab and weigh a number of items up to 5 grams with it and compare the readings with very, very expensive scales in the lab. The $50 digital scale was accurate to within .007 grams when tested against the other scales.

Within its resolution envelope, I'd expect the lesser scale to be just as accurate, and much more precise than something like the Shure if that matters to you. With cartridges that I run I hear differences in VTF of around .02 or .03 grams so it does to me.

I'm Grant.

got one of these to try against my usual similar to one you pointed to. accurecy is very similar. this one is prettier and has a bigger target area. its really a jewellery scale
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-200g...item2ac10d11cd
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    With cartridges that I run I hear differences in VTF of around .02 or .03 grams so it does to me.
    Really? That's about the weight of a grain of sand. So are you adjusting the VTF for every LP you play as the variation in the thickness of an LP will give you more of a variation in VTF than 0.02g? Also, unless every LP you have is super flat then you will get more than 0.02 variation in VTF as the record plays.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

Within its resolution envelope, I'd expect the lesser scale to be just as accurate, and much more precise than something like the Shure if that matters to you. With cartridges that I run I hear differences in VTF of around .02 or .03 grams so it does to me.
    Hello Blake,

I found it very interesting that you think you can hear differences in sound with changes of 0.01grams. What do you think is the reason for this? Do you think it might be that you are on the edge of the weight you Jelco arm can take with you Headshell and cartridge combo, so that slightly changes in weight emphasise the bass or result in resonance issues?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm David.

I believe Blake can now change his name to Golden Ears.

Struth - That's a nice looking scale you linked to.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    I believe Blake can now change his name to Golden Ears.

Struth - That's a nice looking scale you linked to.
    its good for money; a bit different.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast