+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An alternative Tannoy terminal solution

I'm Jesper.

Default An alternative Tannoy terminal solution

Hi fellow gear heads

I’m playing with a pair of old pro Tannoy’s, 3169’s I believe, they came out of a pair of beaten old Lynx cabinets
    I’ve made some new crossovers, I’ve had help buy a local Tannoy guru, he use to be the Scandinavian Tannoy dealer, if I remember correctly

This tread is to share my DIY terminals as I imagine others have come across this problem too
    It all started because the original terminals were missing a few pins, and “new” ones were expensive(ebay)
    Plus I read somewhere that the original terminals were a bottleneck...So I started looking around my man-cave for alternative solutions
    This is what I ended up with:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Jesper.

I contacted Hans Hilberink, a Dutch Tannoy affecionado, whom run the “Tannoy gold” homepage, I assume you all know

He’s the reason for my poste, as he really liked my idear

As both units are in good condition and measure close-ish to one another, buy 80’ standard, they will eventually end up in a pair of DIY bass reflex cabinets, approximately 120-140 liters, whenever I find the time

I'm Jesper.

I do apologize for the small pictures

I haven’t figured out how to post “full” pictures yet

I'm Jesper.

Here is what I did
    First I removed the original Tannoy plug, then I made a 3x 4.5cm “T” shaped terminal board out of an old circuit board
    Then I drilled 8 holes for the “pin’s”, after removing all copper traces + one 4mm for the screw

a "V" shape would possible be stronger, and a simpel squar shape would work Great too.
    Note that I've soldered across both pin's
    This is to both ensure maximum connection, and also to Secure the connector to the fiber board.
    All I did to Secure the circuit board on the speaker chassis, was reverse the original screw

This "System" works for all kind of different connectors:
    It's just a matter adjusting the size of the circuit board...here is just one of my other idears:
    Normal speaker binding Posts- phono/RCA connectors- XLR connectors ore which ever connectors you like better

I'm Mick.

Hi. Good idea and well implemented, The same fix could be used on other speakers.

I'm Howard.

I’m in contact with the retired CEO of Lockwood-Tannoy and he tells me he is happy [delighted even] to answer historic technical questions and more including 'rectifying both common and uncommon inaccuracies'

Replies will be published here on AOS and @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/363768614451699/

Neil
    Well, hello.

I'm Jesper.

Hi Niel

How cool is that

I knew posting Tannoy stuff here on a British hifi forum would possibly lead to people with real knowledge about this marvelous speakers, but never thought it would be a CEO from legendary Lockwood
    A good friend of mine had a pair of light blue Lockwood’s years ago and it’s probably the most beautiful speaker I have ever seen the inside of and they sounded great to boot

Let me clear this of straight away, I’m not a Tannoy expert, far from it, just a normal guy trying to restore these speakers, with respect and hopefully get a pair of great speakers at the end
    I’ve wanted a pair since I was in my late 20’s, as most of my hifi friends had a pair, at some stage in there live’s
    But non of us have ever tried a pair with great gear, they were mostly popular because they could play loud with a “normal” amp, so my ambition is to build a completely new set up with good old school gear

My foray into terminal replacement came out of need and because spar parts are not that easy to find and when you do they are expensive, so alternative/cheap/modern solutions are, I think, the way to go, to preserve this units

But any inputs are more than welcome

And last but not least thanks for your input

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlys View Post
    I do apologize for the small pictures

I haven’t figured out how to post “full” pictures yet

I'm Jesper.

Thanks Jerry

+ Reply to Thread