+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered hifi

I'm Nick.

Default Battery powered hifi

Was going to post this on DIY but I didn't specifically build anything to make this project work.

Currently using a car battery to power my headphone rig. Cost me roughly £40. A lot of it could cheaper if bought from a car parts store (switch & fuse for example).

+£25 used car battery
    +Gifted clamps
    +£4 rocker switch (had to buy bundle of 20, Amazon didn't offer anything better)
    +£7 inline fuse (had to buy bundle of 4, Amazon didn't offer anything better)
    +Spare copper cable
    +Gifted DC adapter
    £2.50 block strip connector
    £1.50 crimp set
    +Spare crimping tool

-DC adapter positive and negative wire connected to left and right of block strip connector. Positive side to inline fuse, negative side to rocker switch.
    -Rocker switch to negative clamp
    -Inline fuse connected to positive clamp (via a half strip connector)

Hopefully the photos make it a little clearer (my explanation has probably made it more complicated than it actually is)

The battery powers my Capella amp which provides power for the SEG DAC. I've experimented putting the Dorado in front of all that but haven't heard a difference yet, need to give it more time.

All of this is a bit of a hassle but it is worth it for the clarity it gives. The noise floor is non existent to my ears with this set up, I can't recommend it enough.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Anto.

Nice !

Havent you got the mains yet ??
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Nice !

Havent you got the mains yet ??
    Thought I'd save myself a couple hundred haha

Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Chris.

Nice -apart from the Amazon references! Use local shops!!
    I'm wondering, as I often do in these cases, if there's a very patient MRS Silent ?
    Or even a not-so silent? (-:
    Chris.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Nice -apart from the Amazon references! Use local shops!!
    I'm wondering, as I often do in these cases, if there's a very patient MRS Silent ?
    Or even a not-so silent? (-:
    Convenience is so hard to get away from

There isn't, who wants to live with a car battery in their front room haha

I'm Anto.

Joking apart , this looks a great idea for when I ditch the land and get that canal barge (seeing as how the canals 100yds from me)
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Simon.

Whilst I admire your dedication in the pursuit of audio satisfaction, I've just got to say that looks like a dog's dinner of a lash up to me. I would never have such an arrangement anywhere near where I listen to music, or even in my house!

Presumably you take the car battery outside to charge? You are aware that hydrogen is created whilst charging a lead acid battery? You seem to have it in a container (presumably to protect from possible spills of sulphuric acid?). Don't charge it whilst in there; hydrogen becomes explosive at around 4% concentration.

This is definitely the 'nerdy' side of hifi, in my opinion. It seems unsafe, untidy and of dubious technical advantage to me. Still, each to their own and clearly you believe that it sounds better, so fair dos. You've got to live with it, after all
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    Whilst I admire your dedication in the pursuit of audio satisfaction, I've just got to say that looks like a dog's dinner of a lash up to me. I would never have such an arrangement anywhere near where I listen to music, or even in my house!

Presumably you take the car battery outside to charge? You are aware that hydrogen is created whilst charging a lead acid battery? You seem to have it in a container (presumably to protect from possible spills of sulphuric acid?). Don't charge it whilst in there; hydrogen becomes explosive at around 4% concentration.

This is definitely the 'nerdy' side of hifi, in my opinion. It seems unsafe, untidy and of dubious technical advantage to me. Still, each to their own and clearly you believe that it sounds better, so fair dos. You've got to live with it, after all
    Fair enough, but it's actually out of sight so not to worry. In saying that I still wouldn't mind looking over at it once in a while and knowing that I'm 26 and have saved ~£1400 on a clear power source

Yep, I've never had it charging indoors, I did some research. It's one of the things that was putting me off for so long though. Only thing I can't figure out is if it is dangerous while in use? (not charging)

I'm julian.

It's not dangerous in use - unless you trip over it, or bang your head on it, or somehow bridge both connections together while holding one of them.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    It's not dangerous in use - unless you trip over it, or bang your head on it, or somehow bridge both connections together while holding one of them.
    Thanks! Hard to find a straight answer about car batteries online if you're not using it in a car, well for me anyway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast