+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Slow construction of ESS9018 dac

I'm Greg.

Finally some progress! The other projects got stalled as a bag pnp transistor is at home, the bag of npn transistors arrived at my work. But I work from home now given circumstances and it is difficult to match pnp and npn which are in different locations.

So here's the control unit for the display and the DAC chip.
    Almost ready! Still misses the IR diode socket. All the other connectors are there: the power supply, push buttons (can support plenty of them), display and the dac.

The code is based on HiFiDuino but adapted to my display.

I have decided not to use the rotary encoder at this stage but hijack the buttons available in my chassic.
    It saves me some mechanical work and maybe will look better.
    Should pressing buttons be too cumbersome I can always install the rotary encoder.
    On the other hand I do not expect to use the push buttons much.
    IR controller should be more practical
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Greg.

It is taking shape!
    I got the arduino program working reasonably well.
    The push buttons which were in the chassis are not working great (I believe they are too noisy). I tried different ways of debouncing but could not achieve nice feel to it.
    So maybe a rotary encoder after all.

Some pics attached. The protective plastic on the screen not removed yet.

I'm Greg.

After some tinkering with the arduino code I achieved satisfactory results.

The volume can be controlled using the rotary encoder (no knob yet!)
    Works like a charm! Very happy with it.

The encoder allows to navigate the menu and choose different digital filters and change other properties of the on-board DSP of the DAC.

I think I am almost there!

The remaining work:
    1. Still some more work is needed on the code to get a bit nicer layout of the info on the screen.
    2. Remote control (should be easy peasy)
    3. Add SPDIF input(s) (maybe Toslink as well) - that will be a steep learning curve
    4. Buy an audiophile approved knob for the encoder.
    5. Put a lid on the box!

I'm Greg.

The DAC has been in normal service for some time now.
    The volume control (hardware ie not loosing bits of the actual digital material) allows me to skip my preamp (Pass B1 clone) which is actually audible in the end result.

But the news is that finally, amid Covid-19 situation, I received Burson Audio V6 Classics for the DAC.
    Today I installed 2 op amps in the buffer positions and started initial listening tests.

Yummy!

I need to listen to them more. I will try them out in the IV converters positions as well and report.

I promise pictures in the next post as well!

I'm Greg.

Finally I have spent a week or so with Burson V6 Classic in the buffer positions.

In this DAC I used OPA132 as buffers (I was not really happy with them) then OP37 (I wanted to try OP27 but could not get it) which I actually liked a lot.

To be honest the I kind of knew already what to expect given my experiments with dual channel Burson V6 in my Whammy headphone amp (where it replaced AD823).
    It is not about deeper bass or more treble or more (or less) of whatever. Burson gives natural, organic, fluid, relaxed presentation of music. Maybe the thing worth mentioning is that I still had some sibilance with OP37 (less than with OPA134). This was gone with Burson. Very appreciated!

You know by now that I have received Bursons for free from Burson Audio in return for some pictures of them in my creations and my honest opinion.
    So mind I am not not obliged to say they are good. But I am completely sold.

Now I have a chance to listen to OPA627 in my Whammy headphone amp (and quite a few other good opamps). OPA627 stood out from the crowd. I have found it very good just a bit less than Burson. So I thought I have found a holy grail of opamps. Well until I checked the price of OPA627. RS Components had them for some £40 a pop. Well dual Burson V6 is around £60. I think IT IS better. £40 is already silly money for an opamp, so if I considered spending it I would probably spend £20 more just not to think about it anymore. But actually this £20 extra pays back in the sound as well.

I'm Greg.

As a bonus:

Today the full monty.

Extra 4 Bursons V6 replaced LME49710 in I/V positions.

The diff is small, but everything gets yet more relaxed, the soundstage gets somewhat deeper. The timber of instruments gets yet more natural.
    The saxophone in Hanna Paulsberg's Catalan boy is very nice. Instruments in the background are better placed in the stage. The best way to describe this is that they are not part of the wall of sound.
    Katie Melua's Fields of gold are absolutely seductive...

I have a pretty damn good DAC!

What remains is to redesign the whole I/V conversion based on opamps and use some discrete I/V converter. To be honest I am not in a hurry.

What will certainly happen soon is that the opamps will get a better power supply.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345