+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi

I'm steve.

Default Hi

Hi, Steve here, just joined and keen to learn more about good HiFi and room correction. I have just upgraded my system with Naim and PMC. I have a Naim Nd555 into a 282 and NAP 300 powering PMC Finestra's the set-up is great, however I have some large bass in areas and looking for ideas to get under control. I have just tired some active bass traps which made some difference but not enough. Considering Room correction now, i.e. Trinnov or Dirac? Any experience or suggestions without it changing the naim/PMC sound?
    Thanks

I'm Deleted.

If you want to use your speakers as close into the corners as the pictures suggest then nothing but DSP will work. I also wonder whether a single Nap300 is really enough to control the bass drivers sufficiently.
    Account Deleted

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Adrian.

I have a look at https://www.roomeqwizard.com/index.html. I used to work many years ago at Wolfson Sound and Vibration lab at Southampton university. REW software is pretty good, initially you don't need to buy an expensive microphone a USB mic will do the trick and use a dB meter on your mobile pone to check levels.

In simple terms you need to do a sweep measurement of your system with the mic at you listening position. Then examine the 20-200Hz area and see if there is any noticeable peaks, usually re-enforcement with be around 50-60 and 100-120hz. This is usually cause by a combination of speaker placement. Have a look at http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/, I have found the rule of thirds best for my room. Try the Real Trap option 1 put you speakers there if you can, and then use REW to measure again and compare with original to see if improvement. You can then do Real Trap 2 and Cardas unit you get the best result. I would also listen to music with suitable tracks you find too bassy as you do this.

Once you have to the best speaker position then you can experiment with moving soft items around the room to stop corner re-enforcment of bass, if yo put a coat stand in the corners and drape material over it then measure/listen you will be surprised at the difference.

Another option is to trial Audirvana on your PC/Mac and feed music from that into the hifi system, you can adjust the sound EQ parameters with in it and see how you feel about it watch https://youtu.be/tj0tM16Hjh0, he gives you simple instructions how to do it.

Hope you find some of this helpful.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

You and the guys here are on the right track with room correction ideas. It's all a matter of experimentation though.

Anyway, take a look around the site and join in any chat that interests you. The folks are friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread