+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can one Dorado feed Caiman and Capella?

I'm Jacob.

Default Can one Dorado feed Caiman and Capella?

I am enjoying my Caiman SEG DAC for serveral years now and recently upgraded it with the Dorado PSU enhancer. Next upgrade might be adding a Beresford Capella headphone amplifier (before Brexit makes it less easier to buy one).

I am wondering whether I can use one Dorado to feed both the Caiman SEG and the Capella with it's very clean 15 Volt? Or do I need a second Dorado and another linear power supply?

The Capella has connectors to pass through the power supply to other equipment, like the Caiman DAC. So it seems to be made to share a power supply. In case the Dorado can deliver sufficient current, would there be anything else why I would use a second Dorado and power supply?

I'm Geoff.

No. Furthermore, the Dorado works very well with an iFi 15v power supply at less than £50. I actually went from a LPS with the Dorado to the iFi as I thought it sounded cleaner.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I am enjoying my Caiman SEG DAC for serveral years now and recently upgraded it with the Dorado PSU enhancer. Next upgrade might be adding a Beresford Capella headphone amplifier (before Brexit makes it less easier to buy one).

I am wondering whether I can use one Dorado to feed both the Caiman SEG and the Capella with it's very clean 15 Volt? Or do I need a second Dorado and another linear power supply?

The Capella has connectors to pass through the power supply to other equipment, like the Caiman DAC. So it seems to be made to share a power supply. In case the Dorado can deliver sufficient current, would there be anything else why I would use a second Dorado and power supply?

I'm Jacob.

@Sherwood, thanks for the quick and bold response. So the Dorado has a clear output current limit adjusted to feeding one Caiman or one Capella? In that case I might order a Capella and second Dorado.

Your experience with the iFi power supply sounds valuable, and I can get it easily here in the Netherlands for under 60 euro.

I'm Geoff.

Yes. The Dorado has a single output switchable between 12 and 15v depending on your chosen power supply.

Not sure why you would be looking at an extra headphone amp. I find the SEG headphone section to be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    @Sherwood, thanks for the quick and bold response. So the Dorado has a clear output current limit adjusted to feeding one Caiman or one Capella? In that case I might order a Capella and second Dorado.

Your experience with the iFi power supply sounds valuable, and I can get it easily here in the Netherlands for under 60 euro.

The headphone amp on the 15V SEG is very close to the performance of the 15V Capella. And once you use the SEG with a Dorado it gets even better.
    There are of course applications where users need a separate headphone amp. In my case I use one to drive the HD800 and 600 Ohms DT990. The SEG struggles to drive headphones above 300 Ohms to deafening levels.

I'm Jacob.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The SEG struggles to drive headphones above 300 Ohms to deafening levels.
    Sherwood, you got a fair point, why would I need a headphone amp? Might reconsider doing this. And Stanley, thanks for your clear comparison of SEG and Capella. First step for me will be trying and buying headphones....the more relevant upgrade regarding my music experience.

I'm Jerry.

You could also ask Stan about his SEG mods.
    Reclocked and supercapped...

+ Reply to Thread