+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any views on Cambridge Audio Akva Turntable?

I'm Martin.

Default Any views on Cambridge Audio Akva Turntable?

Source: Wadia 170 iTransport
    Apple iPod 120MB/160MB, Apple iMac/Airport Express, Musical Fidelity X-RAY CD player,
    Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado power supply
    Amplification: ATC SCA2 Pre
    Speaker: ATC SCM 50 ASL Classic
    Other cables, power supplies: Chord Signature, Mike Homar, Mark Grant G1000HD, RFC Reference Mercury, 20000mAH Ankaka battery
    Favourite HIFI forum: AOS of course

I'm Matt.

Proof of the pudding etc etc,
    But without having heard it, a few thoughts,
    Even aptx bluetooth isn't consistently brilliant, so I'd have thought that's a limiting factor.
    Looks a bit like a Rega arm, so maybe thats a clue as to which factory makes it?
    Its a bit unusual to bundle in an MC cart, especially as its an unbranded one.
    At this price (if you take out the cost of the BT transmitter, the cart & phono stage), I'd probably prefer a belt drive over DD. I think to get DD right takes a bit of decent engineering which costs.
    Anyone looking to spend this sort of money should be auditioning a few alternatives as well.

I'm Martin.

Unless you want the Bluetooth thing I'd spend the same on one of the new Technics.

This must have a built in phono stage too I guess. Convenience over sound quality. At least it's a direct drive.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    Looks a bit like a Rega arm, so maybe thats a clue as to which factory makes it?
    It's most likely a Rega OEM arm but they don't make DD turntables.

This turntable looks a bit of a dog's dinner. If you want DD, then the new Technics should be on your list. If you want belt-drive, then take a look at Rega, Michell and Notts.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    It's most likely a Rega OEM arm but they don't make DD turntables.

This turntable looks a bit of a dog's dinner. If you want DD, then the new Technics should be on your list. If you want belt-drive, then take a look at Rega, Michell and Notts.
    Ah yes, very true.
    It may be worth adding Project into that list for belt drive alternatives?

I'm Adam.

Well, I think it looks very interesting and I’m gagging to get my hands on one and have a play with it! From what I’ve read, the motor is Cambridge Audio’s own design which is a very impressive step.

To describe it as a “dog’s dinner” is, I think, grossly unfair. Regardless of whether the result is superb or not as good as hoped, at least CA haven’t just taken the predictable and safe route of just slapping their logo on yet another Rega or Pro-Ject deck. I think they are to be applauded for giving it a go.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Well, I think it looks very interesting and I’m gagging to get my hands on one and have a play with it! From what I’ve read, the motor is Cambridge Audio’s own design which is a very impressive step.

To describe it as a “dog’s dinner” is, I think, grossly unfair. Regardless of whether the result is superb or not as good as hoped, at least CA haven’t just taken the predictable and safe route of just slapping their logo on yet another Rega or Pro-Ject deck. I think they are to be applauded for giving it a go.
    I agree totally - anything that gets people into vinyl is good in my book, and though there may be better alternates out there in terms of 'Sound per Pound' the sheer convenience of being able to drop this into a system with no concern for phono stages, leads and even amps (I'm thinking people with active/lifestyle systems like Sonos etc) will make it a potential winner. Looks nice too.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Hugo.

I do like the name - I have friends staying in Alva, which is in a very nice part of the country.

+ Reply to Thread