+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ayre c-5xe Compared to a dCS classic stack. (Verdi-Delius-Purcell).

I'm Stephen.

Default Ayre c-5xe Compared to a dCS classic stack. (Verdi-Delius-Purcell).

A while back I was looking for a Pass Labs X1 Pre and whilst looking into it I came across an Ayre K-1xe which I bought and have been very impressed with. So much so, I am considering trying an Ayre C-5xe CD/SACD player as a possible replacement for my dCS front end. I'm not honestly expecting the Ayre to be a significant improvement over the dCS but sometimes a change of presentation can be refreshing. If it as good as the preamp I will be very happy. As an aside I can move on the dCS kit and be a little 'up on the deal' cash wise which I could do with for other things.

Has anyone here owned or had a good listen to the Ayre? I have read very good reviews and hardly any negative comments but sometimes reviews can be inconsistent. The font of knowledge that is AOS would, I feel, be helpful in forming an informed opinion. I am seeking neutral, not excess blossom, nor dry and sterile. Any comments from those who are familiar with this player would be welcomed.

Thanks.

I'm Simon.

It's pretty long in the tooth these days. No USB input, maxes out at 192khz. Sounded good when I heard one, but that was nearly ten years ago. replacement transports will be impossible to find and a well used one will be heading towards needing a partial re-cap, service at least. DCS should be able to service their stuff nearly forever.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

+ Reply to Thread