+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An upgrade or sideways move??

I'm John.

Default An upgrade or sideways move??

am currently running an Elite Rock MK2/OL Encounter 3C combo. However for the last few days I have been looking longingly at the Michel Orbe in the classifieds.

The one thing I need to clear up before I take my thought process any further is, would the Orbe with my Encounter 3C be a significant upgrade to my Rock, or merely a sideways move? 

I have been very lucky over the past 2 years with my seat of the pants (fook it, just do it) decisions to buy various bits of kit on a whim, each time getting a significant lift in SQ (to my ears anyway). Now, however I am at a level where genuine (lowish cost) upgrades are hard to come by so would appreciate some input from others.

There is nothing really wrong with my current TT or the SQ, but then again I thought my OL Aurora Gold MK2 was superb until I heard the Rock. So if the Orbe can provide 'more' at what I consider to be a reasonable outlay then I will investigate things further. 
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

Looks like the Orbe has been sold. I think it would have been a change although not sure if a improvement as they are very different approaches to suspension/damping. However if it wasn't to your tastes it would have been easy to sell on.

I well priced Gyro could be worth a punt if one comes up somewhere.
    Paul.

I'm Mike.

I've always read reviews of the Orbe as being a bit meh.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    am currently running an Elite Rock MK2/OL Encounter 3C combo. However for the last few days I have been looking longingly at the Michel Orbe in the classifieds.

The one thing I need to clear up before I take my thought process any further is, would the Orbe with my Encounter 3C be a significant upgrade to my Rock, or merely a sideways move? 

I have been very lucky over the past 2 years with my seat of the pants (fook it, just do it) decisions to buy various bits of kit on a whim, each time getting a significant lift in SQ (to my ears anyway). Now, however I am at a level where genuine (lowish cost) upgrades are hard to come by so would appreciate some input from others.

There is nothing really wrong with my current TT or the SQ, but then again I thought my OL Aurora Gold MK2 was superb until I heard the Rock. So if the Orbe can provide 'more' at what I consider to be a reasonable outlay then I will investigate things further. 
    Hi John,

I have been considering similar options but from a different perspective. Before you go rushing out and purchase a Michel deck I would consider what else out there is on offer. Michel decks from what I understand work well with SME arms and a few others. Your arm has great reviews and there is no reason to think it would not work with and Orbe. However I think I would want to try it out first. Personally I think the Orbe would be quite a step up, but you might also want to consider one or two of the Clearaudio TT's, Kuzma are also worth considering. £3.5k gives you quite and lot of options, they do a very highly rated package with arm, a bit more than an Orbe but then you sell your TT and Arm it may be a similar outlay. Try before you buy if you possibly can.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Ian.

I’m obviously biased but I think that the Orbe is a great turntable. I’ve always found the Gyrodeck a bit lacking; the Orbe is much better. A good sign of a quality deck is how much improvement in sound you get with better ancillaries. Moving from an OL Silver tonearm and AT 33PTG MC cartridge to an SME IV and £4.5k Accuphase AC-5 was a massive jump in quality.

The Orbe has been around since 1995 in a very competitive sector of the market. That alone suggests that Michell know what they are doing.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by ijrussell View Post
    I’m obviously biased but I think that the Orbe is a great turntable. I’ve always found the Gyrodeck a bit lacking; the Orbe is much better. A good sign of a quality deck is how much improvement in sound you get with better ancillaries. Moving from an OL Silver tonearm and AT 33PTG MC cartridge to an SME IV and £4.5k Accuphase AC-5 was a massive jump in quality.

The Orbe has been around since 1995 in a very competitive sector of the market. That alone suggests that Michell know what they are doing.
    Yes but then you are spending over £10k on TT, arm and cartridge so it’s not surprising that you got a big improvement.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm John.

Well as has been mentioned, the Orbe is sold STP. So it seems my problem is solved, which makes life easier, but Thankyou everyone for your input.
    Now I just need to get round to selling my OL Aurora tt which has been sitting in its box armless since August.

As to looking at other TTs, unless something takes my eye with a sensible price tag I shall leave things well alone for a year or 2.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Yes but then you are spending over £10k on TT, arm and cartridge so it’s not surprising that you got a big improvement.
    I was trying to explain that it was worth spending decent sums on the tonearm and cartridge as the Orbe would let you get the best out of them. Not all mid-market decks are as good at this.

BTW, I spent £4K buying used kit -> £1500 on the Orbe, £1500 on the SME and £1000 on the Accuphase cartridge.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by ijrussell View Post

BTW, I spent £4K buying used kit -> £1500 on the Orbe, £1500 on the SME and £1000 on the Accuphase cartridge.
    Very impressive you did very well especially for the SME.

I do own a Michel deck and at risk of being blown out the water I am now of the opinion that they have at least vibration isolation issues, probably less so with an Orbe due to the use of the double spider, I personally don’t expect this at that level of cost IMO.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I've always read reviews of the Orbe as being a bit meh.
    What does meh Mean?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast