+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Magna Audio's custom-made counterweight balance and armboard service!

I'm paul.

The 210 gram for a Jelco is mine, I only asked Steve to make it last night
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm DAVE.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    Here is a CW for Mr Coco. He wanted 240g which would be rather large in brass or SS.
    This is to balance his IO electromag cart...

He found Tungsten - I said isn't that rather hard to work? So Tungsten copper alloy was the trick, being pretty heavy - just 10cm of it at 41mm dia weighed 2.4kg!

Here is the new weight vs the Alphason ~ 100g one.

Note the inner nylon sleeve which presumably acts as a dampening. The grub actually presses the nylon tube onto the
    CW arm stub.

The slight salmon tinge is quite nice and fades away a bit with some weathering.
    Hi Steve,

I've sent you a PM

Regards,

Dave

I'm Steve.

Here it is Dave.

Last edited by Magna Audio; 31-10-2017 at 08:31.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Steve.

Default Making a Tone arm board out of Ebony for an SL-1210

EBONY!

Started as a 5" x 5" x 2" lump.
    All waxed and hard to tell what it was like.

Spun the corners off

Smoothed a bit

Then a bit more and and as a quick test with some oil on to see how black it really goes

Pretty dark

Lots more turning and smoothing to go but it is going to look all right I think.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 31-10-2017 at 08:35.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hehehe... Not just ANY old SL-1210, boyo, but the main man's one!

Looking good so far, Steve. I love the depth of colour it's got in the last picture, after having been oiled - gorgeous!

I have a good feeling about this armboard, both in terms of sonics and aesthetics! Looking forward to seeing further pics of progress - you're doing a great job so far, mate

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Nice work Watch out Elf 'N' Safety don't try to track you down with all those belts everywhere

Just kidding I have to think of everything before I switch on my bench saw, I'm sure you do the very same Steve
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Steve.

hehe - it's a 1940's Southbend lathe. What is H&S?
    Why would you put your fingers anywhere near the belts when it's on?

Yes the table saw is much scarier - One of the technicians at our school (we had some serious kit there) chopped his thumb clean off on the table saw - Gold only knows what he was trying to do - I can't imaging putting my thumb anywhere near the blade - there are more imaginative ways to prod wood through than that!

I believe in the Darwin awards:-)

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    hehe - it's a 1940's Southbend lathe. What is H&S?
    Why would you put your fingers anywhere near the belts when it's on?

I believe in the Darwin awards:-)
    Exactly, I'm on your side of the fence
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Looks like ebony has excellent sonic properties, otherwise they wouldn't be using it to make armtubes for these babies:

http://www.da-vinci-audio.com/#/tonearm/

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Steve,

Then a bit more and and as a quick test with some oil on to see how black it really goes...
    Try and bring out the natural colour of the wood as much as possible

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast